+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello

I'm John.

Default Makes me laugh some of the rubbish I've got in my music collection

Quote Originally Posted by pjdowns View Post
    Welcome to the forum John.

Like Gordon, I'd be interested in knowing what Hifi and Music you are interested in :)

Paul.
    Thanks for the welcome Paul.

I guess my favourite music is 1960s English blues. My LP buying started in 1969 so English rock was where it was at for me. Musically speaking, I fell asleep during the '80s. I've started to make a concerted effort to buy more modern-day music, but don't know who half the groups are. I currently seem to be buying more of 1950s jazz. I guess I just became entrapped in my youth, so to speak. Since ripping my CDs to FLAC it's become interesting, for the want of a better description, to play my music collection on shuffle. Makes me laugh some of the rubbish I've got in my collection, but after all the OCD tagging the thought of deleting them for appearance's sake is simply too much.

John.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by John R Leddy View Post
    Makes me laugh some of the rubbish I've got in my collection, but after all the OCD tagging the thought of deleting them for appearance's sake is simply too much.
    John, I can assure you the majority of us think the very same
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm John.

Default It's always hot with BAT valve amplification

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Not so sure about slipping past the First Post Police.

Welcome to AoS John,

Thanks for your perfunctory first post, but we would like to know what you tastes in music, are and the sort of gear by which you enjoy it. We're a nosey lot here!

I know it's hot, but it shouldn't be too much trouble to make a list. (I assume from your avatar the vinyl playing part consists of a Thorens 125 with SME 3009 arm? :))

Enjoy the forum
    Thanks for the welcome Barry.

It's always hot with BAT valve amplification. I ran a Bryston 4B-ST during a previous summer but what can I say, as good as it was I still ended up going back to the VK-55. Sweltering! But what's a bloke to do?

My avatar is purely for sentimental reasons as that's the last record deck I owned. That would be up to '85, by which time I was CD only. That old SME 2000 plinth was massive and weighed a ton. I had to buy it its own coffee table.

John.

I'm John.

Default Always a good idea to be wind and watertight

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post
    Ah time..............

that I believe was something I used to think about before I retired. Apart from needing to make some dosh from the woodwork (doing my back in rather dented the big income I had started to make) my wife seems to think that having a weatherproof kitchen roof is a good idea and then there's the snug and the dining room and the bathroom to do.

Today its been furniture repairs so the lathe stands idle yet again.

I have made a couple of speakers of late but very much as a suck it and see experiment. If I ever do find the time, I would certainly like to make a proper pair - as in 'finished'.

Life is, as they say, just too short.

Anyway, all this talk has not deflected us from wanting to know about your hi-fi and musical choices.
    Gordon,

Always a good idea to be wind and watertight! Do you think the wife would notice if you built a couple of horns into the very structure of the house, Japanese-style so to speak? Have you seen some of these guys on the internet? Way over the top. Makes JBL cinema speakers look domestic. I can't help but admire such eccentricity.

I've toyed with the idea of open baffle and no crossovers, but keep coming back to purchasing another VK-55 and going active with the Ninkas. I think it's just something I need to check out before going any further. I like the idea behind Zu loudspeakers, but intution keeps drawing me back to going active.

Perhaps a more sensible course would have been an ARC Ref pre-amp with active ATCs, but I never created the opportunity.

John.

I'm Charlie.

Hi John - I see you've migrated over here too.

Apologies that I never got around to sending you that disc. Things like "going to the post office" became a bit difficult for a time - work / life etc.

I hope you are well and still enjoying the music.

Regards

Chaz

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by 73Chaz View Post
    Hi John - I see you've migrated over here too.

Apologies that I never got around to sending you that disc. Things like "going to the post office" became a bit difficult for a time - work / life etc.

I hope you are well and still enjoying the music.

Regards

Chaz
    How you doin' Chaz? Keeping well, I hope.

I am still plugging away at my tagging. Looks like it is going to be a lifetime's job!

Richard in Spain has agreed to keep a back-up of my music collection off-site, so I am sorted that way.

I shut down my FTP server, removed and kept the HDD, and binned its case.

I was sending him a hundred albums at a time on a flash drive, but this was also far too slow, and he now uses the drive in his car so I doubt I will see that again!

I was starting to run out of storage space, so I bought myself a Seagate 4TB USB Expansion Drive instead of another NAS. So now I have the music awaiting tagging on my desktop computer backed-up to a NAS; and similarly, the tagged files on my expansion drive backed-up to another NAS. It took a couple of days to transfer all the files to where I wanted them, but at least they are a little bit more secure now. To lose everything on a disc at this stage would be a heartbreak!

While I usually stream from a NAS, I noticed my player found MediaMonkey on my desktop, which is set to monitor the files on the expansion drive, and plays those files as well without any set-up on my part. Another option which may, or may not, be of use sometime in the future if a NAS packs-up.

All the best,

John.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12