+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: FIREBOTTLE Phono Preamp

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Sounds really goo; the bass is deep.........
    Grant I do hope that was a typo
    Glad you like it,
    Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Gary.

After 2 extended listening sessions on the end of my srm I have to say bravo to Alan for this phono stage. Sounds really goo; the bass is deep yet controlled, while keeping all the other frequencies in place. once a few people hear one I think the orders will flood in....probably my best purchase audio wise ever.
    Good to hear Grant,
    have one on the way as well.

Thought my new Gyro deserved summit good.

Was it the MM or MM/MC one you got?
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Grant.

Goo I said, and Goo I meant ...DOH!!! this keyboard. yes i meant GOOD
    Last edited by struth; 13-06-2014 at 08:21.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Good to hear Grant,
    have one on the way as well.

Thought my new Gyro deserved summit good.

Was it the MM or MM/MC one you got?

Gary, it the mm/mc version with an adaption for high mm as well.the gyro will love it
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Goo I said, and Goo I meant ...DOH!!! this keyboard. yes i meant GOOD
    Goo on your keyboard mate?

*tut*

I'm Al.

Alan,

Many thanks for the updated info on the Firebottle. I'll have to give it some serious consideration but at the moment I have been smitten by a new pair of speakers on demo

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Dunluce978 - Al, I have further developments on the Firebottle phono front.

It is now in a mark 2 guise, the Firebottle 'plus'which can match any MC/high output MC/low output MM. The single input is tailored to match any cartridge via loading plugs attached to a second pair of rca phono sockets. The gain is switchable, either 48dB or 57dB to suit.
    By taking a novel approach to the output stage (brainwave in the early hours) the Firebottle 'plus' has a more dynamic sound and will now drive any pre or power amp, with a recommended minimum load of 5Kohm.

Clive, the MM only (44dB gain) Firebottle 'plus' is £399 whilst the MC/MM Firebottle 'plus' is £499, plus p+p.

Hope this helps,
    Alan
    Hi Alan,

I'm interested in purchasing a Firebottle Plus. I have a DV17d3 LOMC cart - output is 0.3mV. I'm using it with a 1:20 SUT currently into a Rialto (MM) phonostage with 42dB gain. Volume is fine. I'd like the flexibibility of using it with other carts should I change in future - do you do an MC (LOMC) / MM version or is it just HOMC / MM switchable? What would be delivery time, cost, payment options??

Thanks,

Nick

I'm Gary.

Got my tonearm rewired and FINALLY setting up my Michell deck..
    Have one of Alan's Firebottle Plus MM/MC phono stages, having an initial listen this weekend.

Expect it to be a big jump over the Yaquin I had in before.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Alan.

Default Firebottle phono gain with MC - upgrade kit

When I developed the MC version of the phono stage I was a little disappointed with the level of gain achieved, at 57dB.

Most MC preamps offer in the 60+ region so it seemed a little low. Now with judicious choice of valve type I have a gain of 65dB

To upgrade: the centre valve is swapped plus two resistors need to be soldered in.

If any owner has a real need for more gain on MC I can supply the upgrade kit FOC.

Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Gary.

Hi Alan,

My Dynavector MC cart is very low output, think I might benefit from this?
    I have to turn the volume up to 2 o clock to get some decent volume going!

I'll be opening up the Firebottle to do the other mods soon (catching up with forum life after a while away) so a good time maybe to boost the MC output too.
    Happy to do mods in whatever order you think might lead to helpful information comparing to your two boxer.

Thanks Alan, fantastic Customer Service.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast