+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FIREBOTTLE Phono Preamp

I'm Martin.

Had my first session with this pre pre amp last night. Don't want to say too much until I've run the gamut of my test discs but let me put it this way I wasn't in any hurry to switch it off and do something else.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alan.

I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    What?

Okay okay, I appreciate this is taking a long time but conditions need to be right for a good evaluation and I like to listen to what I feel like rather than necessarily playing stuff to test out kit.

I'm a bit stuck with making any direct comparisons as the last stand alone phonostage I owned was a Project way back when and my system, except speakers was totally different.

Here is where I am up to -

Positives - this doesn't sound like a stereotypical valve unit as top end is extended and clean. Neither does it sound clinical like a stereotypical solid state phono. There is definitely a hint of valve in the sound, call it euphony or sonority or whatever. Bass is not lean or weak neither is it overly warm or bloated, there does appear to be a small degree of mid bass punch that drives the beat along, this I like although I would not describe it as being entirely neutral it is the sort of balance that most people will want. I have to say I was impressed with the overall SQ from the first bar of the first record I played and that impression has stayed with me through multiple sessions, playing all sorts of material. One thing I like to look out for when demoing kit is what I describe as 'niggely' traits - that is a trait that whilst it may not initially be obvious, over time you get to notice and then you can't help noticing it from then on in. Once this happens you cannot live with that bit of kit any more. So far I have failed to identify any niggely traits with this phono stage. It makes vinyl very listenable but not because it makes the sound bland or over-smooth.

Negatives - I have started to think that this stage plus my Nagaoka MP50 is perhaps a bit too much of a good thing. Certainly the sound is rosier than a couple of far more expensive TT set ups I have heard recently, although it is significantly easier, and I have to say more pleasurable to listen to. I can imagine this stage being almost perfect with a more neutral cart like an Audio Technica for example. So I am at the moment still in two minds.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    What?

Okay okay, I appreciate this is taking a long time but conditions need to be right for a good evaluation and I like to listen to what I feel like rather than necessarily playing stuff to test out kit.

I'm a bit stuck with making any direct comparisons as the last stand alone phonostage I owned was a Project way back when and my system, except speakers was totally different.

Here is where I am up to -

Positives - this doesn't sound like a stereotypical valve unit as top end is extended and clean. Neither does it sound clinical like a stereotypical solid state phono. There is definitely a hint of valve in the sound, call it euphony or sonority or whatever. Bass is not lean or weak neither is it overly warm or bloated, there does appear to be a small degree of mid bass punch that drives the beat along, this I like although I would not describe it as being entirely neutral it is the sort of balance that most people will want. I have to say I was impressed with the overall SQ from the first bar of the first record I played and that impression has stayed with me through multiple sessions, playing all sorts of material. One thing I like to look out for when demoing kit is what I describe as 'niggely' traits - that is a trait that whilst it may not initially be obvious, over time you get to notice and then you can't help noticing it from then on in. Once this happens you cannot live with that bit of kit any more. So far I have failed to identify any niggely traits with this phono stage. It makes vinyl very listenable but not because it makes the sound bland or over-smooth.

Negatives - I have started to think that this stage plus my Nagaoka MP50 is perhaps a bit too much of a good thing. Certainly the sound is rosier than a couple of far more expensive TT set ups I have heard recently, although it is significantly easier, and I have to say more pleasurable to listen to. I can imagine this stage being almost perfect with a more neutral cart like an Audio Technica for example. So I am at the moment still in two minds.
    Why don't you try it with a more neutral cart then (assuming you have one to hand)?? That might help you make up your mind

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post
    Why don't you try it with a more neutral cart then (assuming you have one to hand)?? That might help you make up your mind
    A good point. The problem is I am married to my MP50. I had an MP30 years ago which I loved, coveted the MP50 for many years and now I have one (with new MP500 stylus, which was not cheap). You see the bind I am in.

Truth be told I am 90% going to buy this as it's damn good (especially as the price is very reasonable) and I don't really have the inclination to try out half a dozen different head amps over 6 months and then pick the best. I'm an enthusiast not an audiophile
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Alan.

Martin, as you have listened to an awful lot more kit than I have I really appreciate your candour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Negatives - I have started to think that this stage plus my Nagaoka MP50 is perhaps a bit too much of a good thing.
    Can you have too much of a good thing? Don't be put of by the low price compared with others.
    Do please continue to trial it, looking forward to further conclusions.

Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Martin.

Me ? Put off by low price? You must be kidding. I am Mister cut rate, bankrupt stock, bargains on eBay, beg borrow or steal. Well maybe not steal. In any case I am firmly of the belief that most kit is way over-priced compared to the performance it offers and nothing bugs me more than comments like: 'How can it be as good as the X____, it's a tenth of the price?'. Also I'd be surprised if I have heard as much kit as a big chunk of the membership here have, and as I said when it comes to stand alone phono stages I have owned one previous example. However since I am in no-ones pocket, have no axes to grind and am just ploughing my own furrow, I can always be candid
    Current Lash Up:

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Is there a demo unit that can be borrowed?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Is there a demo unit that can be borrowed?
    Form an orderly queue

Come on Alan, get soldering!!!!!

I'm Alan.

Hi Ali,

The prototype (blue box) is with Haselsh1 at the moment, send him a pm.

The story behind the Firebottle phono is that I decided to make a valve phono stage and started by looking at what parts I had available in my stock box.
    As I had a few ECF80s I designed a circuit to use these. The power supply is an amalgam of various bits also from the stock box, of which I have no spares. It is 240V ac powered.

As my vinyl front end was not up to scratch at the time, and liking the vibe on the forum for all things valve, I decided to offer this prototype for trial by any member on the forum that wanted to try a valve phono.
    To start with the treble was a little rolled off but this has been corrected. This prototype has no capacitive loading on the input, 47K ohm for MM only.

Subsequently I developed the circuit to use slightly less well known valves, specifically to keep the cost down. The production version has 47K ohm, 80pF on the inputs and is powered from 12 - 15 V dc.

Any other queries just ask,

Alan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast