+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Firebottle MM/MC phono amp

I'm Gary.

Default Firebottle MM/MC phono amp

Adding to what is said in another thread here...
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ght=firebottle

(Apologies for nicking the pic, but mines looks the same )

I've had one of Alan's Firebottle phono stages in my system for a few Months now.
    The difference between mine and the one above is that I have the option for MC Carts as well.

Bit of an interesting history between me and Alan's Firebottle...

When I decided to set up a vinyl system I thought I'd make a decent stab at it.
    Had a chance to buy another make of phono stage for a good price from a fellow AOS'er so got that first.
    A mate had a get together at his where we had the chance to hear his new Gerrard 401 with a couple of different phono stages. I brought mine over to try as I hadn't even heard it!
    Doing the honours were Alan's first Firebottle stage, a 2 grand valve output stage box and my wee box that I brought over.

Very interesting, the short version is that Alans Firebotttle got very close to the 2 grand phono stage and absolutely pee'd all over the one I brought over.
    Ok...at least I knew not to keep my own phono stage and buy something from Alan.

Time went by and I was lucky enough to pick up a good vinyl setup, which went through various stages of improvement.
    Firstly though I knew I wanted one of Alan's phonostages, best bang for buck I'd heard in a long time.
    At that time Alan had a "Mk2" box out, the Firebottle Plus, which had better circuitry in it as far as I know.
    I emailed Alan with my specific circumstances and requirements and he was brilliant in helping out and getting me exactly what I needed. Recently he's been absolutely brilliant suggesting component upgrades to take the Firebottle even further, as though that was needed.
    As always I was looking to do it once and do it right, too many times in the past have i thrown good money after bad, but dealing with Alan I knew I was getting a product that was the best I could realistically afford and offered great value.

So decided on my Vinyl setup, and was lucky enough to pick up a heavily modifed Gyrodec with all the Orbe upgrades.

Right out of the box Alans Firebottle sounded fantastic with the Michell, fell in love with vinyl all over again.

My experience though has shown that new kit needs some time to bed in, particularly valve based kit, so decided to let it run in for a few weeks before I formed a final opinion on it.
    In this time, (just to complicate things ) I had several further upgrades done on my turntable, new motor, tonearm rewire, new springs, belt etc and most significantly I guess, a new cartridge.
    Had a 2M red in there as a loaner before (thanks to Dave Brook at MCRU), but fitted the deck with a Dynavector XX2 Mk2, which is a bit of a step up from the Ortofon.
    Again though, it needed to burn in so I held off putting down a final opinion on the sound.
    One thing I DID notice was that every change I did to my vinyl setup the Firebottle was transparent enough to show the difference, even when it was still running in.

So some time has passed, things are just about run in so what do i think?

Honestly, I've not heard a lot of other phono stages and I dont really feel the need to?
    This thing is superb.
    As my cart has been running in its opening up, particularly in the bass, and I've been really taken back by how good the whole thing is sounding.
    With a lot of new kit burning in at the same time I decided it best not to try and isolate what was doing what but take the vinyl setup as a whole.
    Over the last few weeks its been getting better and better.
    The Firebottle has been "good enough" to show the best of a good quality MC cartridge like the Dynavector, and various other system upgrades so can say that its REALLY good.

Extremely happy with it, highly recommended.
    Thanks Alan.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Grant.

Good to hear the dynovector is coming good Gary.. I have a Firebottle plus(slightly modified from norm) as well and agree that it is as good as you'll get for twice the money imo, and beat the pants off a whest.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Chris.

Is there a demo unit available? I just foolishly sold my Whest Two and am looking for a good replacement.

I'm Mike.

Chris - get in touch with Alan (goes by Firebottle) and he'll let you know where the demo unit has got to.

Having heard the demo unit I now own a + version. I'm not allowed to play with till chtistmas day as it's a present from my wife but I can't wait to get it plugged in.

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebiglebowski View Post
    Is there a demo unit available? I just foolishly sold my Whest Two and am looking for a good replacement.
    The Whest Two is a great phono stage - very much on the Truth side of the truth -vs- beauty continuum. However, looking at the rest of your analogue kit I suspect a valve phono stage may be just the ticket.
    (PS whatever you do avoid a Project phono stage.)
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebiglebowski View Post
    Hi Chris, I've recently recieved the demo FB, as Mike g says above email Alan to get on the list.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm Alan.

Hi folks, just to make the situation clear with the loan unit. I have just 'retired' the original Firebottle MC/MM unit, for a couple of reasons.

The loan preamp that Darren has is a new Firebottle Plus MM only unit.
    Chris (Thebiglebowski), is your cart the high output or low output moving coil?

Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Chris.

It's the 0.8mV medium output but I'm probably going back to a ZYX which is 0.24mV

+ Reply to Thread