+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Initial impressions of my modified analogue system

I'm Mark.

Default Initial impressions of my modified analogue system

Hi
    I joined this forum several months ago but have been waiting for some new components and my move to the UK before posting.

I've moved (Warwickshire) and the new components in the Analogue part are up and running, although the speaker placement is somewhat random and determined mostly by the (4.5 m) length of the speaker cables.

Mark

I'm Deleted.

Erm OK. but what actually are your first impressions?
    Account Deleted

I'm Mark.

Sorry I got interrupted.

What is left over from the old system are silver lutz (Deco/Heretic Audio) between phono stage (Nick Gorham/Long Dog Audio JFET/5687 valve hybrid) and preamp and to the Conrad-Johnson (L66S 6189/E188CC/6550 pushpull) and Chris Sommervigo Neo-Morpheus speaker cables to the Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento speakers.

What is new and what I will be describing here are

1. Deco Audio Something Solid stand
    2. Aschenborn Verdier Nouvelle TT (about 6 years old) with an Aschenborn A23 mat and a brass armboard with NextGen WBT silver RCA jacks
    carrying an
    3. SME 3012 R arm (also 6 years old) rewired internally with Ikeda silver wiring
    using a
    4. Ortofon 90. Anniversary SPU cartridge
    and connected by a new phono cable from
    5. Yannis Tome silver litz with NextGen jacks

The preamp is a DIY project I tried because I got interested in soldering microelectonics and consists of a John Broskie all in one 5687 board with cryo-treated Tung Sol 5687 valves with copper coolers (both Pearl in the USA) and internal silver wiring, NextGen WBT jacks connected to Drummond transformers and running at 300 V. I soldered the board myself but got Nick Gorham to connect the TXs and sockets and Anthony Cresswell to make a wooden case for it.

Fotos available if anybody is interested.

My previous system differed because:
    1. components were on Ikea oak tables and were supported by Gingko Audio clouds except for the

2. TT which is an Notts Analogue TT with heavy upgrade, a Martin Bastin Wave Mechanic power supply, and an SME IV arm (also internal Ikeda wiring) plus a Dynavector XX2 cartridge connected with Audio Note AN-V phono cable

3. a custom built S&B TVC preamp (Nick Gorham) which I had built in an attempt to improve the sound on digital streaming from a Linn Renew DS (not yet installed in the new system).

If you've gotten this far, you might be curious how it sounds. I certainly was, and I've been waiting for months for the move to happen because the TT and arm and phono cable were in the UK and I was in Ireland. And I was struggling with trying to get the Aikido soldered because I was needing to learn how to apply Ohm's law to calculate required wattage through the resistors and distortion through RC circuits. On top of which I ended up listening to advice from people who had built Aikido boards before and recommended different voltage from what Broskie was recommending. The board has about 8 resistors on pins to allow replacement in order to allow a comparison of 300, 240 and 150 V. And I've bought a selection of high quality resistors to see whether that makes a difference as well. But I haven't gotten that far yet. In fact, the input selector is lying loose in the case because I haven't yet had the time to fix it to the case. Too many boxes to unpack and things to install. And the garden in front of the house is meadow-sized and I've bought my first lawnmower and garden hoses.

When Nick with moral support from me built the Aikido board into the case, we were both impressed that it sounded so good. There is a slight hum on one channel that I still need to chase, but it disappears for my ears about 1 m away from the speakers. So I was hoping that the system might sound good, and simply installed all the new components to try it out rather than doing A/B comparisons one component at a time.

The result of this combination is flabbergasting! My records sound totally different than ever before. I had thought that the Guarneri Mementos were somewhat cold and the sound was previously dominated by extemely clear trebles. The trebles are still there but are now part of a dramatic bass and very impressive mid-range. Previously, the system yielded superb separation between individual instruments and projected about 1-2 m to the sides of each speaker and into the wall behind them. At the moment, I am not hearing that clear separation and the speakers are the side boundaries. However, I haven't yet started to tune the room. Not only are its dimensions very different but the previous room had a floor to ceiling bookcase full of books and vinyl and the current room has a much smaller bookcase, which is still largely empty. And the cartridge, phono cable, and valves have only been used for a few hours and are still burning in.

The sound is so different that I tried to do some simple A/B comparisons to see if any one component was the primary difference. Indeed, simply replacing the Aikido with the TVC preamp goes back a long way to the previous sound. With the TVC it sounds clean, analytical, emphasises the trebles. It also sounds digital and the music is gone.

I should possibly note that I replaced a Klyne s.s. preamp with the TVC preamp for a dramatic improvement in sound. The current difference with the Aikido is not an improvement but a totally drastic change in sound. And previously I would have been focusing on how clean the system sounded whereas with the new system I am focused on the music.

For example, I had bought Martin Stephenson and the Daintees Gladsome Humour Blues because it was recommended as a good test record for bass reproduction in the track Wholly Humble Heart. It sounded good on the old system. Now the drums sound live and my diaphragm is feeling the beat rather than just my ears. Recently, I coughed up the money for the vinyl version of Alison Kraus New Favorite. I had previously only heard the CD, which I know well. The CD sounds screechy in comparison to the vinyl. And turning the volume up makes the music louder but not unpleasant.

I've tried replacing the Yannis cables with a separate pair of WE original tinned-copper phone wire cables that were highly recommended. I prefer the Yannis cables although the differences are minor. I first learned about the Yannis cables on this forum, which is why I'm posting the review here.

I've tried using my Stillpoints record clamp. It now kills the music similarly to the TVC preamp. Anybody want to buy a Stillpoints clamp?

If there is anybody still reading at this point, and wants fotos and subsequent impressions, I'll be happy to supply them. And if anybody is in the vicinity of Stratford/Leamington/Banbury I'd love to show the system to them and let them listen for themselves.

best regards
    Mark

Mark

I'm Stuart.

Photos, definately! please post
    New System (so far): Meridian 506 CD/ALAC -> Unison Research Little Italy -> Spendor S5e
    Secondary system: Airport Express -> BeoLab 3 Speakers (still need replacing - too fatiguing)
    TV Room: Marantz NR 1504-> Usher S520/525 speakers
    Original System: NAD C541 CD Player -> NAD C340 Amp -> lamp cord -> B&W CM2 Speakers, Ipod/Itunes ALAC- secondary source

I'm Mark.

Here are some fotos of the setup and then of the Aikido board.

The left rack has the Verdier on top, the CJ amp in the middle and the Aikido at the bottom (missing the input select knob). The Ikea rack at the right has the phono stage on top and the currently unused TVC preamp underneath.

All comments welcome.

Mark

Last edited by machtman; 19-07-2013 at 11:30. Reason: Inserting images

I'm ChrisB.

Here's my comment Mark (and it's one made with the best of intentions):
    Is there any chance you could get your photos onto this thread? It's so much better than linking to another site, especially when there's a detailed description of the content, such as you have provided.
    If you don't know how to do it, there's a 'How To' thread here. If you need help, then shout & I'm sure someone will lend a hand with some advice.

I'm Mark.

Thanks and images are now posted.

Mark
    Last edited by machtman; 19-07-2013 at 11:31.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Love the look of the SPU/SME 3012R combination. I occasionally use an SPU GM/SME 3012 II combination myself.

If I read your post correctly, you seem to be saying that your new system connects you with the music more, despite displaying a poorer separation between the instruments. Is that right? Anything which reduces the 'distance' between the listener and the performance, in my opinion, is to be applauded.
    Barry

I'm Mark.

Barry
    This is still confusing me because it us less analytical but more musical. But it is still running in and is more and more captivating.
    Mark

I'm inthescottishmafia.

For me, this is what valves do so well, done well they make you forget all about the kit and leave you free to glory in the music.

Lovely system BTW, Nick's kit is very good indeed is it not?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast