Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about building a second system for the office... what to get?

I'm Gone.

I must admit that I don't know the OA55. Onix today aren't the same amps as the originals and The OA55 isnt from the original company.

There has been so much to and fro over the past few years, I've lost track of all the details. Thankfully, Wikipedia of all places has most of the info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onix_Audio

The OA55 might be a good amp, but I'm afraid I just don't know. Maybe someone else on here will now more.

I'm Shane.

The baby NVA amp looks sweet !

I'm Stuart.

That is quite a story!

I hope someone has experience to share with the OA55 (help anyone!)

What do you think of the SOAPs? would you buy the OA21 with a SOAP?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
    I must admit that I don't know the OA55. Onix today aren't the same amps as the originals and The OA55 isnt from the original company.

There has been so much to and fro over the past few years, I've lost track of all the details. Thankfully, Wikipedia of all places has most of the info.

The OA55 might be a good amp, but I'm afraid I just don't know. Maybe someone else on here will now more.
    New System (so far): Meridian 506 CD/ALAC -> Unison Research Little Italy -> Spendor S5e
    Secondary system: Airport Express -> BeoLab 3 Speakers (still need replacing - too fatiguing)
    TV Room: Marantz NR 1504-> Usher S520/525 speakers
    Original System: NAD C541 CD Player -> NAD C340 Amp -> lamp cord -> B&W CM2 Speakers, Ipod/Itunes ALAC- secondary source

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I would sooner have my fingernails drawn slowly out than listen to JBL Control 1s. They pander to a similar market as Bose. The drivers are cheap and not very cheerful and the sound is of the shallow 'boom tizz' variety. A bit like owning a pair of seventies Wharfedale Dentons (which were possibly 'better')!
    They may be aimed at roughly the same market as Bose but they are nothing like Bose, sound wise - and I'm guessing you mean those things on the walls in crap resteraunts. They are only cheap due to the numbers made and sold. I'm not saying they are the last word but they have a well judged balance of sound for a miniature loudspeaker. Lets face it all miniature loudspeakers are heavily compromised, even the expensive ones. Very good build quality too. Although I think the Diamond IV edges them - if you can find a mint pair.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I own a set of the JBL C1 and don't recognize the negative description of them. They perform sterling service as wall mounted speakers in the dining room. Bass is of course lacking in such a small enclosed box so I have a separate subwoofer to add extra depth.

synsei Guest

I don't think Geoff is a fan of small speakers per se

I'm Paul.

So the office system has begun

Managed to get myself a pair of Whafedale Diamond IV today for a pretty decent price of £30 and the guy even through in his speaker cable which is Cable Talk, Talk III. The same as what I use on the main system so I'm a happy camper

P.
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Stuart.

Default WOW - interesting story !!

Interesting story here.

It turns out the recent Onix equipment is manufactured by a different company, at this website: - it looks british, claims the onix heritage, but is actualy an italian company...
    http://www.onix-hifi.com/

But, allegedly, they dont have the rights to the 'onix' name, claims Onixdna. Here is there story:
    http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/a.../t-105564.html

Some reviews on the onix-hifi equipment have been removed from Audiophile websites, base on threats from Onixdna, hence there is very little information out there on the Onix A55 (which was quite good from some reports, reports one of the journalists whose reviews were removed)

Onixdna (the real 'Onix' trademark owner) indicates they will have new products out this year:
    http://onixdna.com/

and that, seems to be the rest of the story....

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post

New System (so far): Meridian 506 CD/ALAC -> Unison Research Little Italy -> Spendor S5e
    Secondary system: Airport Express -> BeoLab 3 Speakers (still need replacing - too fatiguing)
    TV Room: Marantz NR 1504-> Usher S520/525 speakers
    Original System: NAD C541 CD Player -> NAD C340 Amp -> lamp cord -> B&W CM2 Speakers, Ipod/Itunes ALAC- secondary source

I'm Paul.

That's very interesting Stuart. It is ridiculous what the Italian firm are doing and downright wrong!!
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Gone.

I've never had the pleasure of using an OA21 with SOAP but I know some here have. It sounded mighty fine in a dealers when I heard it. Just a bit more of everything. The stock OA21 is still a fine amp on its own though IMO.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast