Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about building a second system for the office... what to get?

I'm Paul.

Default Thinking about building a second system for the office... what to get?

So having spent more time on this forum recently, I have got the bug back and feel the need to build a cheap second (well third) system to go in the office. Annoyingly I let go of an Audiolab 8000a I had spare no so long ago

I was thinking of something on the smaller size. The speakers would need to go on brackets on the wall so sound won't be as ideal as i'd like but a good starter for 10.

So what are peoples thoughts?

Currently I have the following as thoughts:

Source: My iMac or?

Amp: Audiolab 8000a or Cyrus I or II or?

Speakers: Wharfedale Diamond IV (always wanted a pair of these!) or Mission 760 or Misson 780 or?

I might even bring my turntable (Linn Sondek LP12, SME Series III, Ortofon Cartridge) out of the loft and use it (my wife won't let me have it in the lounge systems because 'it's ugly' !!)

What are your thoughts?

Paul.
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Dan.

I might even bring my turntable (Linn Sondek LP12, SME Series III, Ortofon Cartridge) out of the loft and use it (my wife won't let me have it in the lounge systems because 'it's ugly' !!)

Man up dude...
    Bi Amplification
    Quad 33 with current Mod for CD
    2 Quad 303 Bi Amped
    Turntable
    Thorens TD 125 MK1 , SME 3009 S2 Non Improved , Shure V15 II , SME 2000 Plinth
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Cassette
    Goodmans GSW 435

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman91 View Post

Man up dude...
    Yeah I know, but she lets me get away with quite enough, I think that may just push her over the edge LOL
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Dan.

Im lucky im single atm haha..
    Bi Amplification
    Quad 33 with current Mod for CD
    2 Quad 303 Bi Amped
    Turntable
    Thorens TD 125 MK1 , SME 3009 S2 Non Improved , Shure V15 II , SME 2000 Plinth
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Cassette
    Goodmans GSW 435

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by pjdowns View Post
    Yeah I know, but she lets me get away with quite enough, I think that may just push her over the edge LOL
    Now that's a thought

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by pjdowns View Post
    I was thinking of something on the smaller size. The speakers would need to go on brackets on the wall so sound won't be as ideal as i'd like but a good starter for 10.

Speakers: Wharfedale Diamond IV (always wanted a pair of these!) or Mission 760 or Misson 780 or?

Paul.
    Paul

You might try a pair of those Genexxa Linnaeum speakers - quite easy on the ear and you can pick them up for about 50 squids on the Bay from time to time. Much better speakers than their Rat Shack provenance suggests.

They were the thing for a while after Stereophile featured them - I think it was Sam Tellig who went wild over them.

I have a pair for use while working. Not bad ribbon tweeters but you could do with a small subwoofer or something to augment bass if you need.

Peter

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman91 View Post
    (my wife won't let me have it in the lounge systems because 'it's ugly' !!)
    Well she's right there!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Kember View Post
    Paul

You might try a pair of those Genexxa Linnaeum speakers - quite easy on the ear and you can pick them up for about 50 squids on the Bay from time to time. Much better speakers than their Rat Shack provenance suggests.

They were the thing for a while after Stereophile featured them - I think it was Sam Tellig who went wild over them.

I have a pair for use while working. Not bad ribbon tweeters but you could do with a small subwoofer or something to augment bass if you need.

Peter
    Thanks Peter. I currently have my heart set on a pair of Whafedale Diamond IV, but I'll have a look

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Well she's right there!
    Unfortunately I'd have to agree with you lol

I'm Stuart.

New System (so far): Meridian 506 CD/ALAC -> Unison Research Little Italy -> Spendor S5e
    Secondary system: Airport Express -> BeoLab 3 Speakers (still need replacing - too fatiguing)
    TV Room: Marantz NR 1504-> Usher S520/525 speakers
    Original System: NAD C541 CD Player -> NAD C340 Amp -> lamp cord -> B&W CM2 Speakers, Ipod/Itunes ALAC- secondary source

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast