+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I thought I had stumbled onto a £4 Arcam Alpha 5 TDA1541 bargain...how wrong!

Default I thought I had stumbled onto a £4 Arcam Alpha 5 TDA1541 bargain...how wrong!

I've just visited the local tip and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a pristine Arcam Alpha 5 CDP in the electrical pile. It works well and doesn't sound to too bad...a little bit harsh I guess.

I opened the case and to my horror discovered it is fitted with an Alpha 6 DAC daughter board (SM5864AP). The motherboard is a Alpha 5

Is this DAC any good?

Thanks

Richard

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

If you wish to convert back, the Alpha 6 board can be removed, but you'll need to get the shorting link for the pins thus exposed. I think there's a fuse to add too, but Arcam should be able to assist...

I rather liked the Alpha 6 (upgrade) and sold very many of these at £200 or so as upgrades to happy clients. It's up to you I suppose as to whether you'd like it.

Now the good news! Les at Avondale can apparently do some wondrous things to a standard A5 including refurbished mechs, so if you need help with it, get in touch with him. He's a lovely chap and does other wonders for old nail Naims.....

Now, regarding the harshness you hear. Bearing in mind the "trouble" I'm in regarding my views on CD and vinyl I'll leave you with this:-

Arcam were importers of Audioquest cables at the time, and it's my personal belief that their CD players of this period were "voiced" to work with these cables, specifically the Audioquest Quartz, which sold for about £120 for a 1m Phono-phono pair at the time IIRC. Used with this interconnect, the slightly rough "sting" was completely removed and the result was entertaining and listenable for long periods.

Having the deck "Avondaled" may remove the necessity for this particular range of wires and if any re-conversion is necessary, I'd recommend you give Les a ring and ask him about the "6" conversion and whether he feels that this should be removed...

Good luck! Let us know how the tale unfolds..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Thanks Dave

Ive just switched between Arcam 5, or should I say 6, and my old 7....its quite interesting hearing the difference. The 6 seems to have a narrower sound stage, is crisper, very energetic but could sound fatiguing with time. The 7 has a softer tone and is altogether more laid back.

The CD drawer has also jammed once or twice this evening, this is apparently a weak point.
    Last edited by Tripmaster; 03-05-2009 at 21:03.

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Shame the boards been changed, A5's sound bloody nice once modified! I've done a few for mates in the past, unfortunately the A6 uses the NPC dac which is also found in some of the older mid priced Marantz cdp's.
    Don't know what Arcam was thinking of ditching the TDA1541A to one of these

For 4 quid though, you can't moan at that!

Quote Originally Posted by leo View Post
    Shame the boards been changed, A5's sound bloody nice once modified! I've done a few for mates in the past, unfortunately the A6 uses the NPC dac which is also found in some of the older mid priced Marantz cdp's.
    Don't know what Arcam was thinking of ditching the TDA1541A to one of these

For 4 quid though, you can't moan at that!
    Yes, I really fancied modding a 1541. The NPCs got a real edginess to the sound, very forward too ...but cheap

I'm Steve.

I have an Arcam Alpha 5 ready for modding. I have a few opamps to try and some Schottky diodes for the power supplies. I really need to pull my finger out and get it sorted!
    Here it is...

[IMG][/IMG]
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

Don't rub it in

I see its had the dac replaced

R1 is the cheapest TDA1541A, including standard A version

Should still sound great though once modded

Quote Originally Posted by Tripmaster View Post
    Don't rub it in
    Keep your eye on ebay, the A5 audioboards can sometimes be had cheap

Quote Originally Posted by leo View Post
    Keep your eye on ebay, the A5 audioboards can sometimes be had cheap
    I will...not at the momemt

How are you getting on with your EC Designs 1543 mod?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast