+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Record cleaning machines

I'm Philip.

Smile Record cleaning machines

As I am getting most of my records from charity shops I'm thinking of getting a record-cleaning machine. A Keith Monks would be great but is a bit pricey I feel. Has any one used the Okki Nokki or the Moth machines? Or is there another machine I should be considering?
    Main Sys. N.A.S DAIS; 12" Ace Space , Benz Micro Wood SL, Timesteep T-01MC, Quad Platinum DMP, Quad Platinum Pre, FM4,Quad Platinum Stereo, Quad ESL 63, PRC4 RCM, Chord XLR, Mark Grant G1000HD, Black Mamba's. Stax SRM600 SR507
    AVCambridge audio Blu-ray player, Pioneer SC-LX 57 Front 2 channels switched into Quad 606 Powering the ESL63s. Rear powering Celestion Speakers, LFE 2 cheap subwoffers.
    Man-cave Sys. A. GL75, RB300, ZYX R100H, Rega Planer 3, RB200, Rega Carbon Elys II,Quad 34, 606, Tangent RS4.
    Man-cave Sys. B. Revox A77, Akai 400D, Sugdon A48II, JPW Monitors.
    Gallery http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=341
    Classic Sys. Garrard 301, SME M2-9R, Benz Micro Wood SL, Quad Vena, 303, FM3, AM3. ESL 57. Quad II, 22, FM2 Rega Planet. Rega Phono
    Gallery http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=403
    Headphones, Stax SR507 (x2) /SRM600 Limited, Sennhieser HD424, Sennhieser HD558, AKGK105UHF, Beyerdynamic DT 931, Beyerdynamic DT231, Etymotic ER4 micropro.

I'm Andy.

Hi Philip

I have and use a VPI 17.5 Had this machine for quite a few years now, always been reliable and gets quite a bit of use. It's one of the bits of kit I wouldn't sell. Works very well on used records and always worth running new records throught it too, you will be surprised at the results.

The one thing you don't see to many of, is 2nd hand record cleaning machines. Is that because there are not too many sold or people tend to keep hold of them once bought?

Wouldn't be without mine, so depending on budget, I suppose something would be better than nothing.

Andy - SDDW
    Last edited by Sand Dancin Donkey Walker; 03-05-2009 at 14:07.
    HV Electrical Engineer - SAF (Sustainable Aviation Fuel) Plant

The Okki Nokki is a very basic machine and a bit noisey but the results speak for themselves :

Paul

My Stezza
    TT=NAS Spacedeck,Ortofon RS309,Ortofon Jubilee,HEED Orbit. AMP=World Designs PreIII & PhonoIII,Eastern Electric M520. SPEAKERS=Audio Physic Tempo V. CD=Meridian 206,Monarchy DIP,Audio Note DAC Zero.

I'm Philip.

Thanks Andy & Paul for the replies.
    Main Sys. N.A.S DAIS; 12" Ace Space , Benz Micro Wood SL, Timesteep T-01MC, Quad Platinum DMP, Quad Platinum Pre, FM4,Quad Platinum Stereo, Quad ESL 63, PRC4 RCM, Chord XLR, Mark Grant G1000HD, Black Mamba's. Stax SRM600 SR507
    AVCambridge audio Blu-ray player, Pioneer SC-LX 57 Front 2 channels switched into Quad 606 Powering the ESL63s. Rear powering Celestion Speakers, LFE 2 cheap subwoffers.
    Man-cave Sys. A. GL75, RB300, ZYX R100H, Rega Planer 3, RB200, Rega Carbon Elys II,Quad 34, 606, Tangent RS4.
    Classic Sys. Garrard 301, SME M2-9R, Benz Micro Wood SL, Quad Vena, 303, FM3, AM3. ESL 57. Quad II, 22, FM2 Rega Planet. Rega Phono
    Headphones, Stax SR507 (x2) /SRM600 Limited, Sennhieser HD424, Sennhieser HD558, AKGK105UHF, Beyerdynamic DT 931, Beyerdynamic DT231, Etymotic ER4 micropro.

I'm ChrisB.

I've got a Moth.
    I'd echo everything said by others.
    A machine at first seems expensive, but it opens up a situation where you can buy 2nd vinyl pretty much with impunity. Suspect it may also extend the life of your cartridge (not least because you'll be cleaning it less & therefore risking an accident less frequently).

The subject has been covered a couple of times on AoS to my knowledge. I can only find one of them.

On this one, we finally got round to machines.............
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2286

I'm Philip.

Thanks for the link Chris, I missed that one.

I'm Steve.

All this talk of record cleaning has now got me pondering....

Records owned by me from new are completely mint (not withstanding the fact that even these would probably be worth cleaning), however most of my 'new' discs are now sourced from either eBay, the closing down stock of Beanos (famous s/h record store from my old stomping grounds, though now 60+ miles away) or other s/h sources, all of which mean generally grubby records.

Basically a cleaning solution is essential and I can't decide what to do. Realistically, I don't own enough vinyl to justify a serious investment in an expensive machine (or rather I'd like to but it doesn't have the required WAF) and I have been using, and getting pretty good results from, an old fashioned Discostat washing system.

I suppose what I'm wondering is, whether it's worth paying £2 per disc to get them cleaned properly, as there are several companies which use a Keith Monks machine, and at £2 per disc, the records I currently own wouldn't even run to the cost of a basic Moth at the moment.

Anyone got any views/suggestions?
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm Andy.

Hi Steve

Forgot about the Disco anti-stat. I started off with one of those. Very good indeed, well worth keeping to use.

I'm sure someone in the London area would volunteer to clean your records at nominal cost.

An alternative would be to share the cost of a machine between, say 2 or 3 of your mates or forum colleagues. This would be a cost effective way of getting good results from a cleaning machine.

If you are stuck, and wish to see how good a VPI machine is and you supply new inner sleeves, I would clean a few for you, all you need to do is cover the postage costs.

Does that help?

Andy - SDDW
    HV Electrical Engineer - SAF (Sustainable Aviation Fuel) Plant

I'm Steve.

I think I may take you up on that offer, or Marco if he's feeling kind. ;-)

All my records end up in new Nagaoka inner sleeves, but I'd be very interested to see the difference it makes to both a particularly grubby example (one I've bought, not one of my own!) and one which I consider to already be clean.

I must confess that given the fuss involved with using the Disco Anti-stat (it works well but is only worth bothering with to clean a rack full of discs), plus the thought that gunge could be left drying in the groves, the Okki Nokki is starting to look tempting.....
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I think I may take you up on that offer, or Marco if he's feeling kind. ;-)
    Hi Steve,

I'm sure Andy or I could help. I'm currently cleaning some for Dave ('Dave & Sue'), so a few more for you wouldn't be a problem. Just PM me if you're interested

Philip,

I see Chris has linked to the record cleaner thread which I contributed to in some detail. If you feel that there's anything else you'd like to know just ask!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast