+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony ES series SACD players - any comments on how good they are?

I'm Hal.

Default Sony ES series SACD players - any comments on how good they are?

I own the grand total of three SACDs, one of which is ok, but nothing special, the Roxy Music Avalon SACD, which I quite like, and a Eugene Goosens item, just purchased, that sounds damn good even if the orchestral compositions are, for the most part, a bit oddball for my tastes. It has however made me think there might really be something to SACD.
    I've always noticed Sony's ES series but have never heard one, sort of a "I wonder if they sound as good as they look" nterest but thats it. Now though I'm starting to wonder if they might be a good improvement to my elderly but very capable Pioneer DV-656. A good unit and I use a valve DAC with it anyway, but it's performance with the latter two SACDs was really something.
    Could be tempted into an Ebay purchase of a secondhand one or a cheaper new unit if there is one that will easily see off my Pioneer - Any Comments anyone?

Hal55

I'm Nobody.

Ive never been a fan of SACD i always thought the HDCD sounded better to my ears. However I bought two moderate priced players when they came out firstly was the Sony 'CDP-XB 720 QS' *UK Special Edition*, i could not get on with this machine, too bright for my ears, what ever system i put it in.. After a week or so of it i then went out & bought a standard player: Sony 'CDP-XB930E QS' *UK Special Edition* loverly fixed laser mech, a joy to use & one of the best sounding players ive ever owned..I don't use it but stilll have it..

I'm Paul.

The problem with the ES SACD players is many (usually the best models) have no replacement lasers available. Also the early ones are a bit bright. The 5400ES was supposed to sound better than any of it's earlier mega build forefathers but was discontinued about 3 yrs ago. Sony have reintroduced it in US but not Europe. If you want a used SACD for little money seek out a Denon universal player (2900-3910 models). These have dedicated SACD circuits rather than convert to pcm as do some designs. Also will play DVDA (essential for King Crimson and Hawkwind fans). Otherwise the current Marantz range (even the 'budget' models) get a lot of praise with top notch CD replay as well as USB dac facility on the latest models.

BTW a limited number of discs will not give any indication of how good SACD can sound and i'm sure the top players like Esoteric have more to offer in terms of potential. That Avalon SACD was sourced from DAT because the original album tapes were of the oxide shedding variety so not the best example. I would suggest some of the available Japanese manufactured SACDs such as Machine Head and Rumours.

I'm Hal.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioman View Post
    The problem with the ES SACD players is many (usually the best models) have no replacement lasers available.
    Well that would explain some of the low prices I've seen. A 999ES was passed in on Ebay a few weeks ago with only a $240 Buy It Now. Seems lousy that players that cost so much new are, already, no longer beng supported by Sony with spare parts.
    The Eugene Goosens disc is a Chandos recording, originally done in 24/96, and really hints of great capability in the format. The Melbourne Symphony also was in fine form for that session.

Hal55

I'm andrew.

So you are going to shell out on a new player just for your 3 sacd collection!!
    Andy.

I'm John.

Hal. I would echo Pauls comments of the Denon universal players. The Denon DVD 2900 is an excellent machine for playing SACD, and, AFAIK, laser assemblies are still available.

John

I'm James.

Nearly all "ES" gear is very nicely made, IME the lower models sound alright but the higher end models are sublime... The only negative is that I have read of reliability problems on the CD/SACD players, I don't know if its accurate but something to bear in mind.

Personally I've owned & enjoyed the Denon DVD-2900, DVD-3910 & DVD-3930 which can all be picked up quite cheaply now. I found the 3910/3930 to be a leap forward in SACD sound quality over the 2900... I think either would be a step up from the Pioneer.

I'm Hal.

Quote Originally Posted by roob View Post
    So you are going to shell out on a new player just for your 3 sacd collection!!
    Oh good Lord yes. Given the usual problems of finance and waiting for a good buy to turn up on Ebay. Lusting after nice new kit is one of my hobbies, and if the search takes awhile all the better - makes me appreciate it more when I finally get it. The search is half the fun, and don't forget there is a second Eugene Goosens disc to get that will take the collection to four!
    The Pioneer is also getting well on, I've had it many years and it was even second hand when I acquired it, so it seems about time to start thinking of it's replacement. I like big bold engineering statements, hence the interest in Sony ES, but I'm certainly open to any SACD player that will just sit there and make beautiful music. The Pioneer is a decent Cd player but my DAC is significantly better - BUT - that situation is reversed when I play a good SACD or hires file. That's whats aroused my interest in just how much better a more modern player could be, and the fact that secondhand prices are so cheap makes it affordable enough when the right player comes along.

Hal55

I'm Josie.

The 9000ES is a superb bit of kit. I had two at one stage... But as it's been said here before the lasers are scarce if not totally impossible to get now unless you want to butcher another machine. I think it's a tragedy as some players like the 9000ES was built like a tank and is certainly on a par with the near top lines like Accuphase, Estoric etc.

If there was a business model to maintain these obsolete players I'm sure it would be a success.

The Pioneer PD-91 is another player that is a superb sounding player and can kick the crap out of a lot of so called Audiophile players on sale today. The PD-91 is red book only though.

I'm Hal.

Now that's one gorgeous bit of vintage kit.......

http://www.thevintageknob.org/pioneer-PD-91.html

Would love to have one adorning my hifi room.

Hal55

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast