+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: joggler (squeezebox)

I'm andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashmore View Post
    I'll jot down the instructions that got me going later when I'm home. But it'll come with caveats - I am not expert! One thing, do bear in mind I already have a dedicated server running LMS and a wireless setup. Do you guys have a digital source too or are you starting completely from scratch?
    Completely from scratch here, never owned or used such devices before.
    Frank...made me do it.

I'm Twisted.

Ok, i'll consider how best to get going, as you'll need some music to play. Will come back later on...
    Simon

MINI DSP SHD; Longdog 300b; Reiver Fenwicks

Twitter @siashmore

I'm Twisted.

OK here goes. Please bear in mind I am not a computer expert so there'll be a limit (quickly reached) to how much useful support I can give...

What follows is instructions for loading squeezeplay OS into the Joggler's internal memory (ie erasing everything else on the Joggler and effectively turning it into a Touch-like machine).

Seoirse2002, this will work for you as you already have a squeezebox setup, and yes you can have music in another room.

The instructions are taken from the Birdslikewires.co.uk website and the same caveats apply as given there - this is a do-at-your-own-risk task. The only change I have made is to describe the process in a logical sequence.

You are going to download some files, unzip them and write them to a USB stick to put in your Joggler. It may look a bit daunting, but it's pretty easy and will take about 15 minutes.

You will need a 2gb USB memory stick and a computer with an internet connection. The following instructions assume you are running a windows machine. Instructions for other operating systems are provided on the birdlikewires website.

1 Download the system 1.09 (103mb file) and MD5 files from http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/jogglerflash (do not download the reflash script file).

2 Download disk image writer from http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/ You'll be using this programme to write the operating system onto your USB stick.

3 If you haven't already got an unzipping programme, download 7Zip from http://www.7-zip.org/ noting that 32bit and 64 bit versions are available. (on a win7 machine you can find out what your machine is running by start>control panel>system and security>system, and look for system type)

4 Open 7Zip and unpack the .img.gz file you downloaded in step 1.

5 Put your USB stick into the machine and note the drive number your computer assigns to it.

6 Run disk image writer (that you downloaded in step 2) and select the unpacked .img file that was created in step 4. (Try not to get this next bit wrong...) Choose the drive that corresponds to your USB stick and click 'write'.

The computer will do its whizzy stuff for a bit and then will declare that your write was successful. Hurrah!

7 Download Squeezeplay OS for internal memory v1.09 (155mb) and the MD5 file from http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/squeezeplay-os

8 Open the USB stick (ie, look at the files). If nothing shows, remove the stick and reinsert. See that it has a folder called 'reflash'. Pick up the two files you downloaded in 7 (one is called .img.gz and the other will be called .img.gz.md5) and copy them (drag them into) into the reflash folder.

9 Remove the USB stick.

10 Put the USB stick into the joggler.

11 Switch the joggler on.

The Joggler will load the software and take you through the normal routines to find your router and so forth. You'll need to know your SSID and your security encryption pass.

To get the joggler to play through your USB DAC, plug the dac in and go to settings, audio settings, and click external source (or something like that, I'm doing this bit from memory). Then restart the Joggler making sure the USB DAC is plugged in.

If you already have a system running LMS that should get you going.

Andy for you it's going to be a bit different as you now have a player but no server, which is about as much use as a TV with no stations. Can I assume you have a PC of some sort, and that you have a wireless router?
    Simon

MINI DSP SHD; Longdog 300b; Reiver Fenwicks

Twitter @siashmore

I'm andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashmore View Post

Andy for you it's going to be a bit different as you now have a player but no server, which is about as much use as a TV with no stations. Can I assume you have a PC of some sort, and that you have a wireless router?
    Simon, you hit the nail on the button, what i have now is just a flicking digital clock and i sure didn't want to drop 30 notes for a flicking digi clock.

Very well written instructions, it'll take me all week to wade through it all, i am very scared of downloading things incase i get viruses, thanks anyway.
    Frank...made me do it.

I'm Marc.

Andy, you could put a server together for relatively little money. A Raspberry Pi with a USB hard drive would be a good way in, it also appears that you can install the squeeze box 'LMS' server on a range of NAS drives too:

For Raspberry Pi: http://www.squeezeplug.eu/

For the official LMS software: http://www.mysqueezebox.com/download

I'm andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    Andy, you could put a server together for relatively little money. A Raspberry Pi with a USB hard drive would be a good way in, it also appears that you can install the squeeze box 'LMS' server on a range of NAS drives too:

For Raspberry Pi: http://www.squeezeplug.eu/

For the official LMS software: http://www.mysqueezebox.com/download
    Hi Marc,

Thanks for chipping in, so what you mean by ''put a server together for relatively little money'' and NAS drives is to buy another wee computer,
    and then stream my joggler from there, think i've seen the wee square NAS drives before,
    anyway, will keep reading Simon's tutorial and your links to see how it goes.

P.S. been quietly looking to snag a Linn Sneaky cheap and be done with to be honest.
    Last edited by wiicrackpot; 29-08-2013 at 02:44. Reason: linn sneaky
    Frank...made me do it.

I'm Marc.

Yeah, that's about the size of it. I've not got a joggler but my understanding from having looked through the various links is that it's a replay device rather than a server (as is, it appears, the linn box you mentioned, so even if you get that you'll still need to sort out something to serve the files to it. Linn Sneaky = Posh Joggler with an amplifier in it).

This is the relevant bit from birdslikewires:

"The minimum you need to get started is an account at mysqueezebox.com, which will give you access to content over the internet. However, to get the most out of SqueezePlay you should install Squeezebox Server onto your computer. This will serve out any music on your system to SqueezePlay, Logitech’s own Squeezeboxes and many DLNA compatible devices. You can also install plugins to the server, which will add features such as Spotify support and BBC iPlayer radio streaming."

This suggests you should have more than a £30 clock as you should be able to use it as an internet radio and spotify player.

Presumably you have a computer that you use to post to this forum, so to get you started you could install the squeezebox server software on to that and serve music to the joggler from there too?

I'm andy.

O.K. Marc, do i go with the links Simon posted or the Raspberry Pi + LMS mysqueezebox links or download them all?.

I thought a Sneaky does away with PC dependency, i use a laptop now though i still have a Dinosaur desk top in the room,
    better with the laptop incase it goes tits up and i have to lug it to a PC shop.
    Frank...made me do it.

I'm Marc.

I'd suggest the curve works a bit like this:

Pi and drive - Cheap but complicated for newbies and pretty involved to get going (but if you get in to it the sky is pretty much the limit as to what you can make it do)
    NAS and LMS - Bit more expensive, moderately complicated but also a useful addition (as you can also use it as a backup / network drive so good for storing photos and such like as well as serving music to your joggler)
    Custom built PC (of the variety Gaz and others sell) - Very expensive but super easy (as you're paying for the support etc)

I reckon we could probably get you working in 'proof of concept' using either the laptop or the old desktop, doing this might give you the confidence to have a go with setting up a NAS or a Pi as your home music server / streamer. It's gone a way of topic since but if you have a look through my 'recipie for digital streaming server' thread on this board you'll get some idea of what's involved in getting a Pi up and running.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12