+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: joggler (squeezebox)

I'm Twisted.

Default joggler (squeezebox)

One of my Squeezeboxes (a slimdevices vintage v3) has gone to heaven so i'm in the market for a replacement. I'm not enthusiastic about another v3/classic as - much as I love them - the prices seem pretty high and who's to say they don't all start giving out around the same age?

I've come across something called a joggler. It looks like a basic WiFi tablet that some nice linux people have developed a squeeze OS for. They're going for about 25 notes on fleabay.

The negatives are that the built in speakers are (unsurprisingly) shit and you're stuck with a usb or 3.5 jack out.

Two questions. Has anyone here used a joggler within a Squeeze system (and was it any good)? And can anyone recommend a cheap-as-chips usb dac or usb dac + amp (maybe like a topping or king Rex)? Emphasis on cheap!

Cheers
    Simon

MINI DSP SHD; Longdog 300b; Reiver Fenwicks

Twitter @siashmore

I'm Twisted.

So I pressed on with the Joggler experiment and can report that's it's worked very well indeed. If you're after a cheap-as-chips Touch replacement read on...

For those who've never heard of the Joggler before, it's a tablet-on-a-stand - a lot like a Touch, but bigger. (footprint is a bit bigger, the screen substantially so).

Mine was 'new in box' for £35 but you can get them for about £25. Yes that's right - 25 quid.

Now, the really good thing about the Joggler is that it's Linux based, so inevitably some clever chap has come up with a Squeezebox OS (http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/squeezeplay-os). You just have to reflash the Joggler's internal memory (a new expression I've learned). Once done, you have a device that looks and operates like a Touch.

I approached this task with some trepidation (my computer skills extend to putting in a spare HDD and I have never done any flashing before ). But the instructions are pretty simple (if a bit jargony), and once I actually did as instructed it was a breeze. (Download a few files, unpack a zip file or two, bung it on a USB stick, shove the USB in the Joggler).

The Joggler has speakers built in. Little, shit ones that you won't use. You need a USB DAC and some proper speakers. I've ordered a cheapo Behringer DAC off Amazon, but in the meantime it's hooked up to my modded Caiman in the main rig.

How does it sound? Bloody good. It's my first evening of listening, but I have to say it gives the Touch a good run for its money on my system (and the Touch has a linear PSU and some very good leads. The Joggler has the plug it came with and a USB cable I pinched off an old backup HDD...). There is a difference but they are not a million miles apart (and I guess nor should they be given the limited role they are playing in my system).

So, there you go. Assuming it doesn't explode within the week.... recommended.
    Simon

Twitter @siashmore

I'm george.

hmmm... might be worth a try...well done

I'm Chris.

Not heard one myself, but I suspect the joggler is under-rated as a squeezebox. While it was never designed to be a quality audio source, some aspects of the hardware are superior to the Squeezebox touch (it has more cpu grunt and more memory) and with the right software and a USB DAC is worth considering. But every time someone sings its virtues, proces rise. I think £25-35 might be a bit optimistic.

The Behringer UCA202 is a good choice. Have you seen this analysis? http://nwavguy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/0...02-review.html

A possible alternative is this: http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route...product_id=123

I've just noticed they sell a USB isolator, I wonder if it's any good. http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route...product_id=122
    Chris

Stuff

1. Linux PC with onboard HDA SB/ALC892 24/192 optical S/PDIF and/or USB > TC-7520 (Gator + LM4562NA) > Quad 306 > AVI Neutron 3
    2. Rotel RCD 965BX > TC-7520 ( Gator + LM4562NA) > Hd595
    3. Rpi B+/HifiDigi B+ (with isolation transformer) Running "SqueezeOnArch" - https://github.com/SqueezeOnArch
    Nonsense
    1. Belkin Pure AV (white) phono, Belkin Pure AV (silver) USB, QEd 79-strand speaker cable.
    2. MG belden digital co-ax

I'm andy.

Hi Simon,

Great to hear your sorted, i bought one a year or 2 back as i wanted a cheap toe dip into streaming,
    i subsequently posted on here to ask Gazjam for help but never got any, it since sat here gathering dust.

I will be grateful if you could offer any assistance on setting this up either email or i could send it down to you,
    PM sent.
    Frank...made me do it.

I'm george.

Quote Originally Posted by wiicrackpot View Post
    Hi Simon,

Great to hear your sorted, i bought one a year or 2 back as i wanted a cheap toe dip into streaming,
    i subsequently posted on here to ask Gazjam for help but never got any, it since sat here gathering dust.

I will be grateful if you could offer any assistance on setting this up either email or i could send it down to you,

PM sent.

Good idea,
    Im planning on buying one so a setup guide would be very helpful

I'm andy.

Quote Originally Posted by seoirse2002 View Post
    Good idea,
    Im planning on buying one so a setup guide would be very helpful
    George,

It seemed a good idea at the time so grabbed mine's from Gumtree for £30.00, thing is it only came with it's power supply and that's it,
    it's still got it's original owners set-up details and i don't know how to scrub it, it doesn't help when O2 stopped supporting it,
    here's hoping Simon can help.
    Frank...made me do it.

I'm Twisted.

I'll jot down the instructions that got me going later when I'm home. But it'll come with caveats - I am not expert! One thing, do bear in mind I already have a dedicated server running LMS and a wireless setup. Do you guys have a digital source too or are you starting completely from scratch?
    Simon

Twitter @siashmore

I'm george.

Ive actually been using a SB touch and very happy with it....I use it on wifi
    But this could go in another room?

I'm Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisbee View Post
    I've just noticed they sell a USB isolator, I wonder if it's any good. http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route...product_id=122

Its based on the ADuM1460 isolator chip so Full Speed USB support only, but, they work well and can be powered by a clean 5v supply (not in the hifimediy case though)....
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast