+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dr. Amar G Bose. RIP

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Default Dr. Amar G Bose. RIP

Dr. Amar Bose, passed away aged 83.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/13/bu...-83.html?_r=1&

Though his audio speakers are not well thought of in audio circles, his research into noise-cancelling headphones and systems were widely adopted by the military and by commercial pilots.
    Barry

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Dr. Amar Bose, passed away aged 83.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/13/bu...-83.html?_r=1&

Though his audio speakers are not well thought of in audio circles, his research into noise-cancelling headphones and systems were widely adopted by the military and by commercial pilots.
    I am always saddened by the death of anyone and the pain and loss that causes friends and family but this bit sticks in my throat ' whose namesake company, the Bose Corporation, became synonymous with high-quality audio systems and speakers for home users, auditoriums and automobiles.....'

High quality in reference to what? All the Bose products I have encountered - to date - were inferior to cheaper products from other companies and the fact that Bose is the so called pinnacle of sound quality in most peoples heads is very sad and only a reality due to clever marketing and not the reality of performance - imho.

I will say no more as maybe its not appropriate to do so on an obituary thread.

Regards Neil
    Regards Neil

I'm Nobody.

Well the old Bose '901' were goowd..

I'm Geoff.

You do have a point though Neil. The quoted blurb shows they are even capitalising on the guy's demise!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    ' whose namesake company, the Bose Corporation, became synonymous with high-quality audio systems and speakers for home users, auditoriums and automobiles.....'
    And, I agree with Andr'e, having heard the early Bose 901 many times. They may not have been neutral, but they were astonishing sounding speakers. Shame they did nothing more to further what we regard as proper Hi-Fi!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Hal.

Generally didn't like Bose gear at all, but I did find the 601 speakers a surprisingly good listen.

Hal55

I'm Steven.

You're right. It's not appropriate.
    Yamaha - Pioneer - Bluesound - Squeezebox - Beresford - Chario - MJ Acoustics - iBasso

Yamaha RX-V1300 * Bluesound Node 2 * Pioneer DV-656A SACD/DVDA * Squeezebox Touch + BotW linear psu + SBooster * Bushmaster Mk2 + Beresford Dorado * Beresford Capella * Chario Syntar 200T (front) + Chario Syntar 200 (rear) + Chario Syntar Dialoque (center) * MJ Acoustics Pro50 (sub) * LG OLED 55C8 * iBasso D2+ * beyerdynamic DT990/250 * Belkin AV 53001 speaker cables * Mark Grant G1000HD ic * Silver High Breed ic * Mike Homar WBT'ed digital coax * Beresford TRC-222 digital coax * Supra USB * Beresford TC 3618 toslink

Steven

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    Well the old Bose '901' were goowd..
    Totally agree!
    I had a pair early ish 70's and powered with a big yank amp were stunning.
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Nobody.

Aye i had an early pair of Mk 2's With the wood cabinet EQ unit, very good speakers, one of my fave old timers..

I'm Craig.

Totally back wall dependant mind.
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

+ Reply to Thread