+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink Triangle Integral Amp wanted

I'm Richard.

Default Pink Triangle Integral Amp wanted

Bit of a long shot this - but if you don't ask...

Does anybody know anybody with a PT integral? Especially a broken one. Only 12 were made - I can account for 4. 2 of those are broken. The man who designed them cant work out how to open the case to mend his, but I know a man who can

Chances are half the other 8 are broken and unmendable "normally" and I am very much in the market for one of those, cos although I could build the power amp (who am I kidding, I could ask Owen to build the power amp), I fancy the pretty case (Ok Ok Mrs S fancies the pretty case). Here's hoping

A picture to remind you in case (and you are forgiven for this) you don't know what I'm talking about

Must sort out one of these web photo site jobbies so I can put big pictures in my posts.... (I'm an accountant remember, not IT consultant, graphic designer, product photo professional - nor Funks marketing department)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Paul.

There was an integrated amp and CD player under the PT brand. I think this is the later revived company though and different to the model you are talking about? I'm sure these bombed with the resulting end of PT. They also produced an updated DAC board for the Dacapo.

I'm Richard.

Interesting. I've been catching up on my history. Immediately prior to the final demise of Pink they launched this Integral and a revised DaCapo 2. Integral was a an integrated amp (although I am using it just as a poweramp, since it has no phono stage, and the PIP is such an awesome preamp. I've just come off the phone from talking to Owen the designer of Pip, Pip 2 and the power amp in Integral, so I know a bit more now - although he still just chuckles when I ask "why does it sound like a valve amp")

Integral made 12 units only. DaCapo 2, which I have seen, and has the same styling as this Integral, I don't believe launched or got reviewed and the unit I saw in Newhaven may be the only one in existence. It's supposed to be even better than DaCapo. I was offered a loan, but I am too busy to review 2 technics, a new arm, a fabulous amp and a bloody Dac before I go on holiday. So I am saving that as a treat for another day.

Integral was basically a power amp designed by Owen Jones with the productionisation, case work, logic circuits, power supply and protection dealt with by others. They forgot to do the protection, so it is easy to blow them if shorting the speaker terminals, and the logic circuits fail. But working, it is a terribly good amp, and I would like to try to pick up a non-runner to get it repaired from the 8 that are not with my friends.

So if you know anyone with one - I have cash waiting.

I'm jagtar.

Default Pink Triangle Integral Amplifier

I have a Pink Triangle Integral amplifier and absolutely love the sound it makes, more like a powerful valve amp with many subtle layers to the sound but balsy too.

Bought mine a few years ago and was manufactured in 2004 so might be the last one produced, sitting in a box as the logic circuit went funny after a strand of speaker cable touched the other teminal. After trying to find someone to fix the problem and nearly giving up I found a chap who not only fixed the problem but improved the pre-amp section by adding a dedicated separate power supply to it inside the original case.

I have tried to find the matching cd player Dacapo 2 without any luck and will keep an eye open just in case. The Intgral amplifier is a superb sounding unit and I know my friends tried buying it from me making some good offers but it's a thing of beauty to look at but sounds even better. I compared it to my then other system: Naim 52/135's etc and the Integral was more 3 dimensional sounding with suberb midrange, bass etc and plenty of sparkle to the sound but sweet with it.

Keeping mine but if I see another I will let you know, now where can I find the matching Dacapo 2 cd player?

I'm Richard.

So frustrating that these gems didn't survive. AK needs to have other priorities at the minute, but when the time is right, maybe I can get him to relaunch these if Owen and JW will play ball. Exactly matching casework may be a tall order

You have a beautiful amp. I want one. I may have to settle for building the circuit, but that needs Owen to have some time to take his part-finished design and finish it. And he has plans for improving it further, which will be wonderful but one day.

Which leaves me needing something to listen to in the meantime. It is so good, I am even wondering whether I will bother changing speakers now. And nothing should be this good in the rubbish listening room I have

Will keep looking

I'm Alan.

Sounds as if they are stunners.
    See if you can find two..............gimee gimee

As an aside if you do have trouble finding someone to fix things I'd love to. I've only had one thing beat me in 40 years, that was a handheld two way radio - or as they say in France a 'talky walky'

Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Paul.

Reliability issues aside I read somewhere these failed as they were too expensive for the market at the time. (IIRC about £3K each for amp and CD player). Daft really considering the outrageous prices being asked for hi-end product today. Maybe if they had a Krell badge they would have taken off?

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioman View Post
    Reliability issues aside I read somewhere these failed as they were too expensive for the market at the time. (IIRC about £3K each for amp and CD player). Daft really considering the outrageous prices being asked for hi-end product today. Maybe if they had a Krell badge they would have taken off?
    Reliability was so often a PT thing. I think AK has got it now - and offers 3 year warranties. But at the time it would have been hand to mouth, half finished. They still have no protection circuit. And whilst pricing may have been an issue, I think it wasn't. The company was just caught up with by creditors, before the new, very different, product had a chance to get in the market and save them. Ak is pacing himself this time - cos I keep nagging him

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Sounds as if they are stunners.
    See if you can find two..............gimee gimee

As an aside if you do have trouble finding someone to fix things I'd love to. I've only had one thing beat me in 40 years, that was a handheld two way radio - or as they say in France a 'talky walky'

Alan
    Thanks for the offer Alan. Always good to have friends - and I look forward to joining you in France. PT stuff - oh dear. Beautifully made this time, but as ever with Neil the visual design took precedence over practical service issues. So the Integral has a fabulously engineered case, which appears to be cast as a one piece unit. Not at all obvious how you get at the electronics to service them. At least if we could, the circuit is sufficiently "normal" on this one for you to service it. But I guess Owen would fix it quickly enough if he could get at the boards

The Pip. Don't ask. To be fair to the last guy who had a go, I forgot I had schematics which would have helped him (although not exactly the circuit in my amp). 2 fragile boards mounted one above the other don't help - especially since they are held in place by ribbon cable and a flaky switch board. But then - its a DC armed transconductance device. There is a voltage at the input, and a voltage at the output, but no signal voltage to trace between the 2 - just current. Now I've told you that, you're in with a prayer. Otherwise, like the last guy, you start creating needless bridges on the circuit board. You should have heard Owen mutter when he finally got his hands on it. Good job he's such a good mate.

If, as one day (maybe even in the next 12 months - he's coming round) I can persuade him to get back to hifi audio amp design, I'll count you in

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpinkman View Post
    Reliability was so often a PT thing. I think AK has got it now - and offers 3 year warranties. But at the time it would have been hand to mouth, half finished. They still have no protection circuit. And whilst pricing may have been an issue, I think it wasn't. The company was just caught up with by creditors, before the new, very different, product had a chance to get in the market and save them. Ak is pacing himself this time - cos I keep nagging him
    I'm sure the amp did get a review and there were adverts for the new amp/cd in magazines, so surprised they were totally stillborn.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast