+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Affordable Valve Company.

I'm Shane.

Default Affordable Valve Company.

Has anyone on here purchased an amp direct from the Affordable Valve Company through ebay? They are based in Kent, UK.

This EL-34 amp sure does look nice, but the complex description is sure overwhelming Sometimes I wonder about this company .....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-AS-3iE...item48573adf20

Anyway, I've no exp with their products.

I'm James.

On the positive side they are very good value for money valve amps [I had an EL34 "silver" fitted with KT66] On the negative side the owner isn't very pleasant to deal with...

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by istari_knight View Post
    On the positive side they are very good value for money valve amps [I had an EL34 "silver" fitted with KT66] On the negative side the owner isn't very pleasant to deal with...
    Yup, I've read in some place that the owner is a bit hard to deal with.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    Yup, I've read in some place that the owner is a bit hard to deal with.
    Yup

A few years back I made serious enquiries and politely challenged some of the gobbledegook before committing further but received some rude responses so my business went elsewhere.

It's also WELL worth bearing in mind that many of the claims made are based on pseudo science (eg bigger transformers doesn't always mean "better" as the ads seem to infer). I know a few people who've bought these on the basis of value. None still has them. Never heard one myself so can't comment of SQ.

I'm Gone.

Hi Shane. I've had no dealings with Lim, personally, but the chaps on Hfi Wigwam hit the roof when I recommended an Affordable Valve Company EL34 amp on there. Worth reading some posts on Wigwam to get an idea of why they got upset, then make your own mind up. I hope it's ok to mention wigwam here. Apologies in advance if I've transgressed in any way.

Now, as for the amps themselves, I really rate them, having owned a couple and regretted selling them, but you don't ned to buy them from AVC, as they are available in other guises. They are designed in Germany, I believe, and made in China, so the cheapest way to get them is to change your EBay search settings to search "European Union". Be aware you may need to paste the text into Google translate to be sure what you're getting. I've seen new amps selling for less than £300 at times. The most popular model is the VR-70e and the names of the manufacturer vary, although you will see names such as Audio Institute and Dynavox. Check out my Gallery pics and you'll see an AVC amp I bought off Wigwam. It's branded Audio Institute though. Be aware though, they aren't self basing so you'll need a multi meter to rebias them if you change valves etc.

Someone on here with more knowledge may be able to say definitively, but I'd heard the circuit is based on the Dynaco ST 70 amp of old. There are other models but VR 70e and VR 80e are both very good IMO. Just don't spend too much on them. BTW replacing the valves is a good step. I really like them with Electroharmonix EL34 s.
    Last edited by Andrew B; 08-07-2013 at 15:25.

I'm Richard.

Woof. What a crazy listing. NOT professionally trained in marketing. Lets hope he's better at electronics. How confusing?

Since they are just down the road (assuming they're not really in China) it would be interesting to hear what you think of them

synsei Guest

The reputation of the proprietor certainly precedes him. I've heard good and bad reports concerning his amplifiers but all agree the chap is an absolute nightmare to deal with. Even if I was not aware of this I'd steer clear due to the confusing nature of his listings. His descriptions are full of flannel and the cost of the product is never clear as there are always multiple price points posted on his listings.

I'm Geoff.

Similar amplifiers were being imported to the UK years ago by VAA. I bought the EL34 version and that was called the Stereo 70, so definitely a nod towards Dynaco. It was a surprisingly punchy unit.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm ILOB.

The guy a bit of legend in many ways he started the whole cheap Chinese valve import to the UK. He certainly has a passion for his products. I was in correspondence with him many years ago but could make no sense to his ramblings so never bought the amp
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm scott.

looks very much like a audiospace as-3

http://www.audiospace-hifi.com/detai...=3622&private=

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast