+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Problem with Xindac SCD2 - does not read SACD layer

I'm Peter.

Default Problem with Xindac SCD2 - does not read SACD layer

All,

I'd be grateful for advice please. I have an SCD2 which I use to play my limited collection of SACDs. Recently, it has stopped reading the SACD layer but it still plays the CD layer. I understand these machines are very variable in their quality and poor ones are apt to fail. I have done a bit of forum research and am not optimistic.

It won't be the end of the world if it has become a shiny doorstop as I can use a Denon 2910 instead but am loath to give up on it without a bit of effort. I have not yet done anything to it and before I do, does anybody here have any experience of how to fix this fault please?

Thanks for looking

Peter

I'm john.

I was hoping someone would answer Peters question...My Pioneer has exactly the same fault as in reading cd's fine but failing to read sacds come all you boffins get typing and gives us both some advice. Please..
    John.

I'm Peter.

Default Bump

On the off chance that you are all normal and enjoying the outdoors more than reading hifi fora, one last plea! Someone here must have an idea. Please!

synsei Guest

Have you tried taking it apart to clean the lens? You can do this quite easily but you need to be very gentle. Once you have uncovered the lens carriage, pour a little Mr Muscle window cleaner or a similar product into a bottle cap and dab a cotton bud into it (do not use Windoleen as it dries to a powder). Very, very gently wipe the lens with the cotton bud and then dry it off with a fresh one. If accrued crud is the cause of the problem this will fix it. IIRC there are separate laser and lens assemblies in universal players for CD and SACD playback so it would pay to clean both. While you are in there clean the chrome rails along which the lens carriage runs with a lint free cloth dabbed in a little IPA and then run a pencil (the softer the better) along the entire length of the rail. Graphite is an excellent lubricant and it will ensure smooth running of the mechanism for many years to come. I hope this helps

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    a little IPA and then run a pencil (the softer the better) along the entire length of the rail. I hope this helps
    Dave,

Thanks. Really helpful advice. I'll try that.

Do you recommend any particular IPA? I guess that, seeing that this CDP has old skool valves, it should it be CAMRA friendly?

Peter

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kember View Post
    Dave,

Thanks. Really helpful advice. I'll try that.

Do you recommend any particular IPA? I guess that, seeing that this CDP has old skool valves, it should it be CAMRA friendly?

Peter
    I've always been quite partial to Greene King IPA myself...

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    I've always been quite partial to Greene King IPA myself...
    +1!

+ Reply to Thread