+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rewiring SL-1200 Tonearm

I'm Jim.

Default Rewiring SL-1200 Tonearm

I recently received the parts necessary for re-wiring the Tonearm on my SL-1200Mk2. The internal wire will be replaced by Cardas tonearm wire and the external wire will be an assembly from KAB utilizing their PCB and Cardas Litz coax. This will be a visual guide to that process.

The guide is in post #5

Last edited by MartinT; 13-07-2013 at 15:18. Reason: Link added as requested

I'm Andrew.

Good for you mate looking forward to your tutorial.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Ken.

Used the same wire on one of my arms - no PCB or interconnects just a continuous run straight through to my Phono stage.
    Just stripped back the coax for the section inside the arm and connected the arm/headshell ground to the coax where it exited the arm and the coax then went to my phono ground post. Worked well.

I'm Andrew.

I have a very similar setup on my technoarm and it is worth the effort, my philosophy has always been less is more, get rid of what's needed.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Jim.

This is what I started with, a KAB rewire kit (the prepared tonearm wire, fishing wire and damping) and a replacement interconnect with the KAB Technics circuit board. This cable is not on their webpage, it's an all-litz coax of very low capacitance. Call or email Kevin, he will happily make you one.

I storongly suggest getting the wire kit, the wire itself is prepared - it's cut to length, tinned (which is no small feat on litz wire, and worth the price of admission) and it's covered in a graphite coating to help counteract the triboelectric effect of teflon-covered wire.

Remove the platter, rest the turntable on something soft or properly supportive, and remove the base. Take a photo of all the screws near their holes, so you can reference the photo when you re-assemble the table.

This is the bottom of the arm, the screws holding the plastic block (strain relief) need to be removed, and the strain relief as well.
    Remove the metal lid.

And here is the stock wiring. De-solder the small wires from the PCB.

Remove the screws from the PCB, and lift gently. The zip-tie needs to be cut, as the ground wire is not going to be removed from the turntable.

Arrange the groundwire out of the way, as it's going to be connected to the table throughout.

You can see here that I got a bit ahead of myself, not removing the resin sub-plinth yet. It's actually easier if you do that first.

Sub-plinth removed.

The 3 silver screws around the perimeter of the arm hold it in. Remove those and it will easily slide out.

The arm assembly removed.

Remove these screws.

Pull out the headshell collar, but don't pull out the wires!

De-solder the wires, and place the insulators aside.

I attached (soldered) the new wire to the old. Gently, without forcing anything, you can fish the new wire through the whole assembly using the old to pull it through.

When the new wire is through, unsolder the old wire and discard. (Ignore the color difference from the previous photo.)

Once all the wires are through replace the insulators,

And re-install the collar. This is very fiddly to solder.

Cut a few strips of the Cotton and gently stuff down the armtube.

The wires need to be re-attached on the base.

Here are all the wires, and the old ground wire. That, like the ground that goes out with the RCA leads remains stock.

Lay the groundlead back in it's place, the bend of the wire will naturally find it's home again...

Attach the PCB in place of the old.

Attach the new wires to the new board.

This is a great time to check continuity with your meter. If it's all good, start to re-assemble the table.

I needed to improvise a strain relief, as the new cable will not fit through the original plastic block.

And it's done!
    Last edited by 6L6; 12-07-2013 at 23:25.

I'm Tony.

Fantastic, thanks.

Tony

I'm ChrisB.

What a wonderful and comprehensive guide, Jim.
    This is one for 'The Knowledge', I think!

I'm Jim.

I have had a bit of time to listen to the new wiring - and I am very happy I made the change.

The best way to describe the improvement is 'Cleaner'. The entire signal now seems more intact. No single thing is particularly better or emphasized, it's all better. Highly recommended.

I'm Neil.

Beautifully done and illustrated

Regards Neil
    Regards Neil

I'm Jim.

Update - the phono cable I used is now a catalog item at KABUSA.com

Look for "Low capacitance all Litz coax" I believe the will be an extra charge for mounting it to the new PCB. Ask Kevin.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast