+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some advice please...

Forgot to mention that i also have an EMO broadcast phono stage that i've been playing with. It's quite good but i'm not sure how it rates alongside newer designs.
    Has anyone come across these over the years?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Al,

Never heard of the EMO, I'm afraid. What's its history and connection with the broadcast industry?

The question is ...do i want something i can put on a shelf and look at, and possibly modify?
    Or do i want something small enough to nail on the back of the turntable.
    More decisions!
    My advice is to go with whatever sounds best within your budget - audio performance is what matters first and foremost!

Since this is only likely to be a stop-gap solution I wouldn't get too hung up on looks or the type of case used... Experience tells me that these devices which are only available in Japan (or the US) usually outperform many much more expensive units for sale on the UK market.

I think the PEQ3 would be an ideal choice. The quality and value for money of AT products such as this is almost second to none. I reckon it will be a veritable little giant-killer!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

This Thorens unit also looks good on German Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Thorens-MM-01-Pho...3A1%7C294%3A50

Can you tell that I'm used to searching for items a little bit outwith of the mainstream?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

This is the same model i think.
    Mine looks like it fell from a third floor window, which i why it only cost me a fiver. But it still works ok.

http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/21...d-XLRM-outputs

Just because its built like a tank and retails at £200 , don't necessarily mean it sounds as good as a hifi box.
    Once i've established just how good this is, i can decide on what to buy. Tony has a Pro-ject box I can compare it to, sometime soon.
    First impressions are that its a bit bass shy compared to the little £12 box, but superior otherwise. Difficult to tell with a beat up old Connoisseur turntable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12