+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Squeezebox Touch - Vanilla vs EDO ?

I'm Abe.

Default Squeezebox Touch - Vanilla vs EDO ?

I do not know whether there's a wool in me ears, but after I've upgraded the firmware from 7.72 to 7.8 - I'm hearing better sounds with the stock Touch rather than with the tricked EDO version...

With the EDO mods On, things get more focused and the highs become softer.
    But once reverted to the the vanilla version, I kept getting this What Hifi-style perceived improvement such as...more holographic sound, wider sound stage, better separations, tauter bass etc.

Could I have gotten it wrong somewhere?
    Anyone who's with me on this ?
    -abe-

I'm Alex.

Hi,

I presume this into a Dac, rather than using the SBT stand-alone?. If so, which one and how is it connected (SPDIF, USB)?.

I can't say that I noticed much of a change when installing EDO, but then again I never really bought into the hype about Soundcheck's mods for the SBT, or at least it didn't really ever make much of a difference when I was using my old Cambridge Audio 840C via co-ax SPDIF. Whatever differences there were were very slight at best. It does seem to be very system dependent though.

I currently use EDO with my CA851C, and get best SQ using co-ax SPDIF, then optical, then USB class 2. USB sounds quite soft and blurred compared to coax SPDIF. As I recall, this was also my preference with the stock SBT without EDO, although there was no USB output.

The only big difference I ever noticed with the SBT was between a wired and wireless connection - wired sounded much, much better than wireless in a megabucks C-J/Karan Acoustics/Avalon system.. no question about that to me.

Cheers,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Abe.

Alex,

I'm using the Bushmaster, connected to the SBT via Coax SPDIF.
    With the Rega Brio-R doing the amplification job.

And when you mentioned that the wired connection sounded better than wireless ones - I presumed that you are referring to the connection to your media source library/Hard Disk/NAS, which is being connected via USB cable directly to the SBT. Innit?
    -abe-

+ Reply to Thread