+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: SL-1200 DC Power Supply DIY

I'm Ian.

Dimkasta
    many thanks for the links.
    Ill knock together a cct that will let me do this. The Cal output my Tek scope with a Low Z output driver might do.
    Ian
    Technics 1200 tweaked,Ianmac Bearing,DACT DIY Phono Pre, Belcanto CD-2, Engineered Switzerland DIY Renderer, Benchmark DAC2, Hypex NCore, ATC SCM40
    2nd system --Engineered Switzerland DIY streamer, Sony CDP11,Topping D50 DAC, Hypex NCore. Kef 1point2 speakers. Ianmac Filters

I'm Dimitris.

You can do it with a generator signal. You jus tneed a resistor in series with the secondary. Check this link
    http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power...ml#post4206768

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk
    Sources: Modified SL1200 MK2, Salas folded RIAA, Phonoclone, VSPS, Shelter 501 MK2, Modified Pioneer P6D6 as transport, Shigaclone transport, Peter Daniel NOS DAC.
    Amplification: Custom 211 Monoblocks, Electrocompaniet AW120, Audio Research VS110, Gainclone
    Loudspeakers: Tannoy Turnberry, PBN Montana EP Signature
    Cables/stands: Tempflex ribbon and Twinax cables
    Other: Promitheus Signature Passive Attenuator, Custom JFET - transformer preamp.

I'm Jim.

There's no question that the .22uF on the secondary is non-optimal. That said, it's better than nothing...

I love the work you are doing on this! Well done!
    SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

I'm Dimitris.

Quote Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
    There's no question that the .22uF on the secondary is non-optimal. That said, it's better than nothing...
    Sorry if I sounded harsh or demeaning there. Not my intention

I'm Jim.

No insult taken.

I'm actually quite happy to see a real measurement taken, the beauty being that once the value is known, it's pretty safe to assume that most of the transformers over the production run are likely identical, or at least close enough that those snubber values will be able to be used by all.
    SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

I'm Dimitris.

Quote Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
    it's pretty safe to assume that most of the transformers over the production run are likely identical, or at least close enough that those snubber values will be able to be used by all.
    Exactly my thoughts

I'm Dimitris.

Another interesting idea for those that do not want to fiddle very much with special chip regulators is just replace LM317 with its slightly bigger brother the LM350.
    According to the datasheet, with the compensation cap in place it typically has ~22db better ripple rejection (64db vs 86db), and 3 times less RMS output noise (0.001 %Vo against 0.003 %Vo) up until 10KHz

I'm Ian.

Surprised there is no interest in this.
    Dimmy has forwarded suggested improvements and my own regs, based on Linear Technology chips offer a similar performance, easy to build with low component count. (6/7 per regulator)
    Splitting the supply to drive control electronics and motor drive electronics with separate regulators placed close to the Technics PCB is a very good upgrade.
    This is not over engineered so very cost effective.
    Technics 1200 tweaked,Ianmac Bearing,DACT DIY Phono Pre, Belcanto CD-2, Engineered Switzerland DIY Renderer, Benchmark DAC2, Hypex NCore, ATC SCM40
    2nd system --Engineered Switzerland DIY streamer, Sony CDP11,Topping D50 DAC, Hypex NCore. Kef 1point2 speakers. Ianmac Filters

I'm Jim.

I'm quite interested! It seems to be a well thought out mod and I'd love to try it.

Modding my -1200 is about 5th on my current list of projects, I've got the Pass Sony Vfet guide to write, my SP-10 to complete, the ZenMod "Iron Preamp" to build and make a guide for, the subwoofers for the Linkwitz LXmini speakers to make, and build the Stuart Yaniger "Equal Opportunity" valve phonostage. So actually 5 things in front of it.

I'm Nathan.

Is this something worthwhile to do if I'm using the stock transformer? If so, I'd be interested.
    We the willing, working for the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
    We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast