+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: SL-1200 DC Power Supply DIY

I'm Nathan.

I don't have any issues with jumping/skipping on bassy passages but I would like to check it to know it's current resonant frequency. Where would I get such a test record?

Guys, please pardon us for going off on a tangent here.
    We the willing, working for the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
    We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

I'm Dimitris.

Yes it would be nice to deduct the effective mass, so that you know which carts it is going to work best with.

I am using the Hi-Fi news test record.
    I got it from amazon a few years back

I want to find another one with a better channel separation test, but that is different discussion
    Sources: Modified SL1200 MK2, Salas folded RIAA, Phonoclone, VSPS, Shelter 501 MK2, Modified Pioneer P6D6 as transport, Shigaclone transport, Peter Daniel NOS DAC.
    Amplification: Custom 211 Monoblocks, Electrocompaniet AW120, Audio Research VS110, Gainclone
    Loudspeakers: Tannoy Turnberry, PBN Montana EP Signature
    Cables/stands: Tempflex ribbon and Twinax cables
    Other: Promitheus Signature Passive Attenuator, Custom JFET - transformer preamp.

I'm Dimitris.

I found some time today to replace my old 3-capacitor pcb with my new 2-cap one.

I did some quick listening on low volume, but can't say I noticed anything significantly different. Perhaps some thinness, but it could be from the fresh soldering and parts. I will leave it running tonight and do some proper listening tomorrow. Later this week I will also install the snubber to see if it's worth the trouble.
    Sources: Modified SL1200 MK2, Salas folded RIAA, Phonoclone, VSPS, Shelter 501 MK2, Modified Pioneer P6D6 as transport, Shigaclone transport, Peter Daniel NOS DAC.
    Amplification: Custom 211 Monoblocks, Electrocompaniet AW120, Audio Research VS110, Gainclone
    Other: Promitheus Signature Passive Attenuator, Custom JFET - transformer preamp.

I'm Dimitris.

This weekend was a relaxed one so I had much time to listen to music.

Going to a 2-cap filter on the PSU was definitely a setback. The sound was kinda mushier. But I will compensate for it with an extra RC stage inside the turntable when my regs are finalized. This will also help with transients by reducing the effect that the umbilical cable has.

For now, I finally installed the Quasimodo snubber.
    And I am just basking in the awesomeness that it brought to the sound. Such a big and nice improvement on the clarity of the sound.

If you do not know what I am talking about, here is the link to the post with my initial measurements and the schematic/parts.
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...715#post811715

Thanks again to Mark Johnson for a very nice testing jig.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728