+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SL-1200 DC Power Supply DIY

I'm Jim.

Default SL-1200 DC Power Supply DIY

This is my go at an external power supply for the SL-1200.

My most sincere thanks for this thread, it was extremely useful in this process - http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...chnics-SL-1200

After a conversation with Wayne Colburn of Pass Labs, learning that he has made a SP-10 PSU for in-house use, a few things became apparent - Get the bridge diodes out of the TT and just have DC on the umbilical. Use 1N4007 diodes, for whatever reason they sound the best, even better than exotic high-speed diodes. Snub the bridge on the AC side with a .22uF film cap. Use multiple stages of RC filtering.

The biggest improvement is of course, no transformer vibration on the platter, easily done merely by locating the transformer outboard of the TT chassis, and this is what I was originally planning to do - but converting umbilical to DC wasn't much more work.

Does it sound good? Of course! And the best part is that I'm not even done yet, the stock regulator hasn't been replaced... (mainly because I ran out of time...)

UPDATE - The first regulator modification can be found here --http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?26620-SL-1200-DC-Power-Supply-DIY&p=467311#post467311

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    STOP!
    Before you put yourself or others in danger, think very carefully about whether you are qualified to carry out any of this work.

Art of Sound Electrical Safety Advice

The Art of Sound is an open forum for music lovers and a place where all members can share their views on music and the equipment used for its reproduction.

The forum also caters for those who are interested in the DIY aspect of everything related to the audio replay chain, and therefore there will always be a healthy number of DIY articles and discussions in threads across the forum. Given the number of these, it is not possible to monitor or moderate all technical aspects of posts made by members.

The Art of Sound would therefore like to remind all who read such articles that while we encourage discussions on all audio related DIY we cannot and will not accept liability for the information given on any DIY related matters contained in any thread or posts herein.

We strongly advise extreme caution when considering any modification or building projects described, especially those concerning any mains voltage related upgrades, earth modifications and/or any other high voltage related modifications or building projects.

Unless you are suitably qualified or otherwise capable of carrying out such modifications/suggestions, then we strongly advise you consult qualified personnel.

We would also like to remind all our members and readers that some or all of the modifications found within the threads and posts of the forum may not be legal in certain countries and therefore advice on the legalities or otherwise should be sought before carrying out such modifications.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first thing to be done is remove the bridge diode and snubber caps.

These were located in the holes now visible.

An umbilical is added. The white 3rd wire is capped off, but still there if I need it for something in the future. The bare metal wire is the shield drain, to be attached to ground.

Fused IEC plug, switch, microphone connectors used for the umbilical.

All to be placed into this ABS enclosure.

There is no reason not to use the stock transformer, it's the proper voltage, soft-mounted, has a beautiful mu-metal shield, and is free with the purchase of a turntable.

(3) 4700uF 63V volt capacitors, (2) 10ohm 3W resistors, .1uF polypropylene bypass cap, all wired up in a CRCRC filter. Why those values? I had them on hand. If I needed to buy new, I would probably use similar values.

And here it is with the bridge to the side. (The yellow is the transformer secondary.) The eagle-eyed among you will notice the 1K bleeder resistor across the cap bank.

The final configuration of the umbilical attachment to the PCB. Of note the shield drain wire (the bare one) is not connected to anything at the PSU box. The shield is just at ground potential.

The insides after the modification. I utilized the now unused AC power switch to switch the strobe.

A few zip ties to attach the wire to the studs for strain relief, and of course the obligatory ferrite clamp.

Schematic of the Power Supply.

This is stage one of my PSU modifications, a different regulator of some sort will be next.

Questions or comments warmly solicited.

Thank you for looking.
    Last edited by The Grand Wazoo; 06-08-2013 at 17:24. Reason: Added Schematic

I'm Martin.

Nice job.
    Presumably the little blue PCB after the TX is a discrete bridge rectifier?
    Analogue: Technics SL1210 M5G, AN Arm One/II, Blue Angel Mantis MC
    Amps: Devialet 200
    Speakers: Usher Mini 2 Dancer DMD
    Cables: Supra, Mark Grant, Reference Fidelity
    DIY System Audiosector Gainclone, Salas DCB1, AudioSector MC Phono stage

I'm Jim.

Yes. It's from a PSU board from Peter Daniel / Audiosector.com . The board is upside-down, so a little hard to make out.

MartinT Guest

Nice work, Jim. I'm following this as it represents the most inexpensive and possibly biggest first jump for many potential Technics modders. Well done!

I'm Francois.

I take my hat off!
    This is indeed very very exciting.
    I shall follow this with great interest.
    Well done.
    If you are looking into bespoke voltage regulation, check my thread about the fidelity audio Spower...

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ics-SL1210-M3D

Last edited by Frankyc2003; 03-07-2013 at 07:17.
    Francois, Bergerac, France
    Source component/s:
    Musical Fidelity M1 Dac, Allo Digi One, Sony SCD-XE800, AVID Ingenium Twin arm, Audio Note Arm One, Groovemaster II 12in, Audio Note IQ3 MM, Denon DL103R MC, Croft Basic 25, TQ Iridium Phonostage, Puresound T10 Stepup Transformer, Zavfino majestic tonearm cable
    Amplification:
    Audio Note OTO PP, Dussun V6i
    Loudspeakers:
    Triangle Comete ES, Klispch RP600M
    Cables/stands:
    Quadraspire, Belden 9497

I'm Alan.

Good job Jim and thanks for the clear pictures for the benefit of others

Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Brilliant work, Jim! Many thanks for taking the time and effort to do this. Your work is reference quality and a credit to AoS. Well done

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Jim.

Marco, et all,

Thanks for the kind comments. I really enjoy making the guides and have done quite a few at DIYaudio. A couple of my favorite -

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-...amplifier.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-...pearl-2-a.html

Both of these projects are gobsmackingly good sounding. The F4 is an amp that would happily be my desert island piece, and the Pearl is so musical it belies description. I'm not one for writing buckets of audio prose, but both these are worthy of novels.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
    http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-...amplifier.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-...pearl-2-a.html

Both of these projects are gobsmackingly good sounding. The F4 is an amp that would happily be my desert island piece, and the Pearl is so musical it belies description. I'm not one for writing buckets of audio prose, but both these are worthy of novels.
    Seriously impressive

You thought of doing this for money ?

and a dog for a Pic !
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

MartinT Guest

Wonderful guides, Jim.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast