+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temple audio mono block PSU upgrade

I'm tony.

Default Temple audio mono block PSU upgrade

For any of the troops out they're using these amps they have released an upgraded power supply that can be utilised with the original mono. At a tenner a pop to existing owners it would have been rude not to have tried them. Plumbed them in this morning, they are quite a bit bigger than the original PSU and take an IEC lead instead of the figure of eight cable with adaptor.
    They are a noticeable sonic improvement over the original sounding quite a bit more grunty and effortless, knowing from experience the difference a power supply upgrade makes to t amps this is a great value for money upgrade (they are also British made). Dont know if they will work with the gold though!
    Yet to try them on the 63s, will update accordingly.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Thanks for that Tony, I actually have a pair of Bantum Monoblocks on a future wish-list. My next experimental project will be an all battery powered system. A Linux Voyage MPD music server, feeding a battery powered JKDAC and a pair of Bantums - very neat and simple and controlled via the MPDroid app without a pre, just using the digital volume control from the app. It promises to be pretty good, the proof of the pudding however will be in the eating, but I have high hopes for its sound quality. My Amptastic Mini-T paired up with a pair of Celestions and an HRT Music Streamer II+ sounds far better than it ever should and it still surprises me what they can do driven by my Windows/JRiver server. So the Bantums should take it to another level.

The power consumption is going to be minimal, so running from a decent SLA or LiFePO4 battery should be easily achievable for a Linux/Bantum system
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm tony.

i have a battery powered original bantum that sounds pretty special to me......its the way ahead, sonically methinks(in purity terms)

I'm Andy.

x2 batteries with T-amps are budjet hi end, that is why my top T-amp uses them.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Andy.

That should read budget of course- long drive home from the SW.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm fuckoff.

Tim (sorry to go a bit ot, op) but can you go DAC>mono block and just use software as the volume control, eliminating the need for a preamp?

Kinda like a smart guys hot-rodding effort.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by realysm42 View Post
    Tim (sorry to go a bit ot, op) but can you go DAC>mono block and just use software as the volume control, eliminating the need for a preamp?

Kinda like a smart guys hot-rodding effort.
    Yes you can Martin, in fact there are those who think its the best route for digital audio (read Scott's entry 19th March http://computeraudiodesign.blogspot.co.uk/). JRemote will do it, Gizmo doesn't do it, not sure why they left this out? The Voyage Linux remote app MPDroid does. That's my next experiment (not for awhile yet though), a Linux Alix based MPD server using about 3-5W, a battery powered DAC and batteries for the Bantum monos - a good SLA will do it or a LiFePO4 ideally. High end sound on a budget as Andy points out. Taking the mains supply entirely out of the equation, as you are finding out, really does pay dividends. I reckon the entire system as outlined above could use less power than my current JRiver Intel atom server and hard drive. I'm only guessing mind you, but my hunches so far have normally paid off

I have a lot of other things in the pipeline, so I won't be trying this out for a few months yet.

I'm fuckoff.

Thanks for the link, I've only got one source, so this will be interesting

Right I'll bugger off out of here now!

I'm tony.

if its any help, my original bantum powered by the battery supply i bought recommended for the busmaster dac lasts a good 6-8hrs driving spendor sp1 at reasonable levels, i was using an active pre in the chain so dont know if this would be bolstering the battery some what. the battery powered bantum now lives in the garage with a fiio 5 headphone in the chain boosting the output of an i pod or wee cowon player set at mid out put.....again half a dozen hours driving whaferdale diamonds at reasonable levels.
    never tried driving the temple mono blocks with a battery.reckon a motorcycle battery would be about right for a crackin eco set up up......if memory serves there was a guy running mono blocks with bike batteries and really short top notch very short speaker runs....sorry dont have a link but made good reading.
    the monos are so compact i velcro them onto my speakers and use really small speaker cable runs, about jumper cable length. will eventually treat my myself to a pair of tq black ultra jumpers just to see what all the fuss is about. with some custom made interconnects from mark grant my options of trying some previously unattainable high end speaker wire has become a reality.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    if its any help, my original bantum powered by the battery supply i bought recommended for the busmaster dac
    What voltage and Ah is this battery Tony, or do you have the battery details to hand?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast