+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Old Vs New Speakers

I'm Nobody.

Is that Blue interconnect Kimber 'KC-1'?

I'm Ashley.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    Is that Blue interconnect Kimber 'KC-1'?
    I haven't got a clue at the moment but I'm pretty sure they were part of the "modernising" and rewiring that was done because they don't look original.

Actually I'm trying to track down the man who originally restored it and sold it to my father. He moonlighted as a piano tuner and was based here in Cornwall but all of this was years ago. If I can find him I guess he would know exactly what needs to be done.

I'm Nobody.

I was going by the Kimber directional Stickers, what it is is basically a sheilded 'PSB-J' you use on Say Moving Magnets, Valve amps etc anything that basically need a sheilded cable.

I'm Ashley.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post

The white on the Delta looks like water damage, hopefully just cosmetic.
    I think you are right about the water damage but I'm not sure what can be done to fix that cosmetically, though it might even clean up with something like isopropyl. The surface has an odd feel compared to most modern electrical items with a rough metal texture but it's remarkably solid and the way the tray opened and closed smoothly added to the feel of high quality construction.

I'm Ashley.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    I was going by the Kimber directional Stickers, what it is is basically a sheilded 'PSB-J' you use on Say Moving Magnets, Valve amps etc anything that basically need a sheilded cable.
    I have just about zero knowledge of matters like this but happy to learn.

I'm Ashley.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post
    I've seen worse looking Leaks that still sound great. No doubt the experts amongst us will comment but the sooty burn marks under the resistor at the back (underneath) rather shows that there was a problem at some time. If possible, I reckon you should find someone to check it out. I'm not sure if its the right resistor that is there now. I assume the pre-amp is passive. I have always run mine with a passive and it sounds great.

The white on the Delta looks like water damage, hopefully just cosmetic.

It will be interesting to hear how you get on with it all once the speakers are sorted.
    I'm certain this was all working fine when it was put away so it's possible that black burn mark occurred many years ago before it was rewired. I agree though that it's probably worth having it checked over.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678