Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Best MM Cartridges

I'm scott.

use a cartridgeman LE myself , costs more than most MCs

I'm Shane.

The Shure M3D is a nice cart.

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    ....what would you consider to be the very best MM cartridges available today?
    Just to clarify a little, would it be correct to say that you're interested in cartridges which don't have a low output (requiring an extra gain stage in the phono amp) rather than purely moving magnets?
    If so, there are lots of good suggestions above but don't forget the Deaccas.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    The Shure M3D is a nice cart.
    Cor, nice for what Shane? I've had a few of the sad old things. A well sharpened pencil would probably track as well and put out less offensive noises.

(that of course will have the M3D fans up in arms)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Just to clarify a little, would it be correct to say that you're interested in cartridges which don't have a low output (requiring an extra gain stage in the phono amp) rather than purely moving magnets?
    If so, there are lots of good suggestions above but don't forget the Deaccas.
    Yes you are correct I only have a MM phono stage so could at a pinch try a high output MC but I am really only interested in MM or maybe MI (Decca) type. My post was just to gain opinions and views currently of MM cartridges AOS users found particularly good. I am actually using a 2M black at the moment which I have found superb.

I'm Alan.

Back in the 80's the Nagaoka MP50 was regarded as one of the best MM cartridge, I wonder if they have just added a 0 to the title and the price, it's now the MP500, I suspect it's very good, but a bit pricey to just give it a try, anyone got one to give the OP an opinion?

enjoy your music

regards Al
    My system,

Cartridges Lyra Delos, Audio Technica AT33EVmc, AT 24 mm
    Turntable Thorens TD 124 Mk2, in a Jim Campbel plinth,Audio Technica 1503 Mk3 arm
    CD player Technics SL-PG490
    Cassette deck Yamaha KX 530
    Moving Coil Amp Albarry MCA 11
    Pre-amplifier Albarry AP 11 (battery powered)
    Power amps Albarry M1108 Mono-blocs
    Speakers Allison 3 Corner units, Allison 6 stand mounted cubes
    Interconnects AVT Matrix 6 and OFC short ones
    Mains distribution Music Works Recoil 6 gang and mains leads
    Tables MusicWorks ReVo acrylic stand, Quadraspire Acrylic shelves (cryo'd legs) acrylic Response Mini under mains block.
    Speaker cable Chord Rumour (Cryo'd)
    RCM Okki Nokki
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1586...homepage_panel

I'm Adam.

Another vote for the 2M Black here - it's a simply astonishing MM in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Cor, nice for what Shane? I've had a few of the sad old things. A well sharpened pencil would probably track as well and put out less offensive noises.

(that of course will have the M3D fans up in arms)

*runs and hides behind something explosion-proof before Marco sees this*
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Jorg.

I have a 2M Black and like it. Also have MP500 which is warmer and great. Mostly, though, I listen to a denon mono DL102 and a GEVRII mono and 78 rpm cartridge. I dont listen much to stereo, but when I do, I choose the Ortofon 2M Black or the Nagaoka MP500. There are some good high output MC's as well, such as the Denon DL110 and 160 and the SAE1000E. An the Shure M44 is pretty good and good value. Good luck
    Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny

I'm Paul.

My faves include the Goldring 1042, the 2m Black and the Shure V15III (dependant upon arm used and stylus employed).

However, if your arm can take the energy which means high-ish mass, or mass loading applied to the headshell, then the London Decca carts are excellent and a great alternative to expensive MC set ups.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    My faves include the Goldring 1042, the 2m Black and the Shure V15III (dependant upon arm used and stylus employed).

However, if your arm can take the energy which means high-ish mass, or mass loading applied to the headshell, then the London Decca carts are excellent and a great alternative to expensive MC set ups.
    On this, my Reson Reca is a noticable step up from the Goldring 1042 upon which it is based bringing a larger degree of refinement & treble clarity to the mix.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast