+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Best MM Cartridges

I'm James.

Default Best MM Cartridges

Hi all,

what would you consider to be the very best MM cartridges available today?

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Hi all,

what would you consider to be the very best MM cartridges available today?
    For fear of sounding repetative and boring ( I am known here for constantly bigging up this cart !) The Ortofon 2M Black is simple stunning and regarded by many as one of if not the best mm out there. In my experience it is exceptionally good and the only mm for me

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    For fear of sounding repetative and boring ( I am known here for constantly bigging up this cart !) The Ortofon 2M Black is simple stunning and regarded by many as one of if not the best mm out there. In my experience it is exceptionally good and the only mm for me
    How does 2M Black compare to similarly priced MC cartridges?

I'm Ken.

+1 for 2M Black

Goldring 1042 can still be had, is a lot less costly and is also very good, but 2M Black is better.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by potatoha View Post
    How does 2M Black compare to similarly priced MC cartridges?
    Hi John, I've never personally had an mc but have read tons about it just to see if others are as happy and excited by this cart as I am and everyrthing I've ever read says a huge yes - a legion of happy and excited folk. I've read a number of times that it presents like a decent mc, (whatever that means). i can only think they are refereing to it's skill with timbre, texture and detail as well as that sense of air. Check these customer reviews tab and you'll see what I mean and what others say - http://www.needledoctor.com/Ortofon-...hono-Cartridge

I'm Clive.

AT150 MLX, this compares very favourably to my London Reference which is in a totally different price league. The AT needs care taking with setup, when it's right it sings, tracking at about 1.5gm works for me, go higher and the sound dies somewhat. Some say it's bass light, it is not at all like that.... It's around £200, this is a bargain.

http://www.lpgear.com/product/ATC0150MLX.html

http://dagogo.com/audio-technica-at1...rtridge-review
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Hugo.

I'd agree with others regarding the 2M Black. I regret selling mine, but an Audio Note IQ3 snapped up recently at a good price is really rather good and possibly even better than the 2M Black, but had I paid its new retail price I would fully expect it to be magic.

The OP's question is a tad generalised, though. Whether any MM cartridge sings or not depends on the tonearm, and most particularly the total capacitance loading, eg that of the phono cable plus whatever is in the phono amp. Get that loading wrong and even the best MM cartridges can sound pretty uninspiring.

MartinT Guest

The phono stage itself is pretty important to the sound of a good MM. Don't dismiss the idea of a high output MC either.

I'm Clive.

For sure MM loading (resistive and capacitive) is important and the synergy with the arm and phono stage are key too. Overall good MM matching is a little trickier than MC matching. Listen to an MM with a cantilever and tip of the quality you'd find on a good MC, you may find MMs can sound better than typical opinion would suggest.

Here's a view on the 2M Black vs AT150MLX. http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vin...75/751827.html
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Julian.

I'm delighted with my Garrott P77i which I consider a small step up from my previous cart, the superb Nagaoka MP-50. If funds permitted I would certainly like to try one of the pricier Garrotts.
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast