+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Best MM Cartridges

I'm Geoff.

Deccas are non MC cartridges, that have fixed coils and operate by influencing the coils in the way an MM does. They offer a very individual sound. The way music is portrayed is fairly unique. There is a speed and attack that the majority of other cartridges, whether MC or MM can't replicate. Lucidity and openness are very good too. Anybody used to regular MM cartridges normally has a bit of a shock on first trying a Decca. They are very different indeed.

A bit of a digression, as this is an MM thread. The only alternative cartridge I've come across that offers the same kind of approach as Deccas is the ZYX R100 02H. This too, has that speed and incisiveness, but is deeper in soundstage and more transparent. Bass is better extended and there's an impression of greater control, especially at higher frequencies.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Walter.

I have had very good luck with older Shures. My first real cartridge was a Shure V15 type IV. My next was a Shure Ultra 500. I have, in my (small) stable, an Audio Technica AT150ANV. A titanium bodied version of the AT 150. I like At 150's. If the set up is done right and the records are clean they sound very good. If your set up is off, so will the sound. They don't forgive, the imaging and the bass wont be there, and the treble will be splashy. A Jelco or a Rega work well with either the good Shures or the Audio Technica 150 clan. More sophisticated tonearms, such as top flight SME's will bring added benefits.

I'm Glen.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Deccas are non MC cartridges, that have fixed coils and operate by influencing the coils in the way an MM does. They offer a very individual sound. The way music is portrayed is fairly unique. There is a speed and attack that the majority of other cartridges, whether MC or MM can't replicate. Lucidity and openness are very good too. Anybody used to regular MM cartridges normally has a bit of a shock on first trying a Decca. They are very different indeed.

A bit of a digression, as this is an MM thread. The only alternative cartridge I've come across that offers the same kind of approach as Deccas is the ZYX R100 02H. This too, has that speed and incisiveness, but is deeper in soundstage and more transparent. Bass is better extended and there's an impression of greater control, especially at higher frequencies.
    I've just got a Soundsmith Carmen, which I think sounds fantastic. It's described as a Moving Iron. Much of what you described about the Decca, well sums up the SS. It's fast, dynamic and has awesome bass, whilst still remaining smooth. In your opinion are these similar designs? I'm new to all of this, so trying to understand.

I'm Kai.

Partly inpsired by this thread I gave the AT15Sa another go and took some better care with setup and it seems it's better than I remembered. Quite impressed with it actually. Unforgiving of record condition though. I'll have to double check azimuth because it being slightly off I've noticed can cause that, but I'm suspecting it's just the tip profile. Most line-contacts don't seem to take kindly to record wear and since I have a lot of used records in less than perfect shape, that's a bummer. Now the profile Ortofon VMS30 has was magic in this respect, it was not a very sharp or extended profile (8µm ×*40µm, while the Shibata is 6x75 if I recall correctly and some others are even sharper and more extended than that) but it had the magic of just gliding through most imperfections unlike any other line contact (or elliptical for that matter) I've heard. Granted I've only owned shibatas and some Fritz-Gyger. I wonder if the 2M Bronze or Quintet Bronze are similar in this respect, they seem to use the same 8x40 tip.

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Deccas are non MC cartridges, that have fixed coils and operate by influencing the coils in the way an MM does. They offer a very individual sound. The way music is portrayed is fairly unique. There is a speed and attack that the majority of other cartridges, whether MC or MM can't replicate.
    Spot on. Even my Allaerts MC1B (a £4k MC cartridge now) can't match my Decca C4e for live presence and dynamism.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by glenann View Post
    I've just got a Soundsmith Carmen, which I think sounds fantastic. It's described as a Moving Iron. Much of what you described about the Decca, well sums up the SS. It's fast, dynamic and has awesome bass, whilst still remaining smooth. In your opinion are these similar designs? I'm new to all of this, so trying to understand.
    Can't say, as I've not tried the Carmen. I take it that model is not based on Grado designs, as most Soundsmith cartridges have been.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Peter.

I've been running a Len Gregory Music Maker 3 moving iron cartridge for around a month now and enjoying it a lot, has anyone experienced the Music Maker 'Classic' cartridge at all?

Would love to hear your views/thoughts.
    Peter McCullough Photography
    ------------------------------------------
    TRAVEL - EXPLORE - CAPTURE

I'm Karl.

All depends on so many variables... its almost impossible to say what's going to sound better or worse to one's ears..! even they need a clean out to appreciate the sound that's coming from your setup as I've just found out!
    I have played with a number of cartridges and stylus with various amps and arms and TT and speakers... getting the right combo is all down to you and what you like to hear. My current flavor is a Shure V15Vx with a VN5xMR stylus. not a cheap option these days but the odd one pops up for a reasonable price..
    listen and Enjoy the music... when it makes you smile you found the right combo..!
    Good luck !

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanders1 View Post
    All depends on so many variables... its almost impossible to say what's going to sound better or worse to one's ears..! even they need a clean out to appreciate the sound that's coming from your setup as I've just found out!
    I have played with a number of cartridges and stylus with various amps and arms and TT and speakers... getting the right combo is all down to you and what you like to hear.
    True!

With my current TT i've found that the Ortofon VMS carts sounded right, started with a VMS20 mk2, lost it when i moved and have just got a very low use VMS30 mk2, they are getting on a bit now so it can be a struggle to find one in good condition, but for my ears with my TT and wallet they sound sweet.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    But that's not what the OP asked.

I would add the AKG P8ES to the list, as well as the B&O MMC 20E and MMC 20EN. The ADC 25 and 26 are identical, save the 25 came with a choice of three stylus profiles, the 26 one.

Love it, they're identical with differences.....lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast