+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Balanced Mains Transformer - WOW! - Hardwired Installation log (Pic Heavy!)

I'm Gary.

keep us informed how you get on.

I'm Mark.

Default Balanced mains

Hi Gazjam,

Bit late to the party, but I have just read this thread with great interest. I currently have a dedicated consumer unit in the listening room, this is wired underfloor back to the main board outside the house. Even so, we have a huge variation in mains quality, enough to make me question the whole hobby at times, although when it is good, well that's another story.. So balanced mains looks more than worthy of investigation for me.

First question - you have mounted your transformer in another room - is that due to the noise it produces, or just for aesthetic or safety reasons? I ask because in my case I could hardwire directly to the dedicated CU in my listening room very easily and cheaply - as long as it is reasonably quiet (I have naim kit and already live with a bit of transformer buzz). Wiring it into another room is possible, but more complicated.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddiekaberman View Post
    Hi Gazjam,

Bit late to the party, but I have just read this thread with great interest. I currently have a dedicated consumer unit in the listening room, this is wired underfloor back to the main board outside the house. Even so, we have a huge variation in mains quality, enough to make me question the whole hobby at times, although when it is good, well that's another story.. So balanced mains looks more than worthy of investigation for me.

First question - you have mounted your transformer in another room - is that due to the noise it produces, or just for aesthetic or safety reasons? I ask because in my case I could hardwire directly to the dedicated CU in my listening room very easily and cheaply - as long as it is reasonably quiet (I have naim kit and already live with a bit of transformer buzz). Wiring it into another room is possible, but more complicated.
    I have this airlink transformer http://www.airlinktransformers.com/b...plies/BPS3120/
    It's a beast at 22Kg. I have mine installed in the loft running off a dedicated ring from a new consumer unit and supplying 2 double sockets. I dont remember it being noisy but is sure is but ugly

Steve
    Always a little further

I'm Neil.

My transformer makes an intermittent buzzing as it picks up on DC riding the mains, can't hear it when the music is one, but if it's not playing and the washing machine is running...
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Mark.

Never even thought of the loft, now that could work...

I'm Gary.

Hi Mark,

My BPS is in the next room for both the reasons you state...its a big metal box and looks a bit industrial.
    Also there is a SLIGHT DC hum from it, which can be fixed by a DC blocker board, but I'd only worry about it if the BPS is in the same room as your kit.
    I've really finnicky about background noise so wouldn't have ever had it in the listening room anyway.

Have it out of site in another room, cupboard, loft etc and forget about it.

One thing I'd say is that I found a substantial improvement in hardwiring as much as possible, ie.. not having 13A sockets on the end of it but a "hydra" junction box.

This takes breaks in the connection/wire fuses out the picture and improves the sound.
    Safety wise no problem if you get the breakers fitted to your BPS as is detailed in the thread.

Hardwiring to the CU is a good shout, you could still technically have the BPS in another room if you do a bit of through wall drilling the way I did?
    That to me would be the ideal install in your case.

Hope this helps mate.
    My BPS install was signed off by a spark as A-OK.

I'm Mark.

Thanks for the advice, this is very interesting indeed for me as both my system and ears seem to be very much tuned into the mains issue (thankfully Friday nights seem to be consistently good right now!). I have a great sparky who fitted the CU for me, so ill have a think about exactly where to house it and then talk to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Hi Mark,

My BPS is in the next room for both the reasons you state...its a big metal box and looks a bit industrial.
    Also there is a SLIGHT DC hum from it, which can be fixed by a DC blocker board, but I'd only worry about it if the BPS is in the same room as your kit.
    I've really finnicky about background noise so wouldn't have ever had it in the listening room anyway.

Have it out of site in another room, cupboard, loft etc and forget about it.

One thing I'd say is that I found a substantial improvement in hardwiring as much as possible, ie.. not having 13A sockets on the end of it but a "hydra" junction box.

This takes breaks in the connection/wire fuses out the picture and improves the sound.
    Safety wise no problem if you get the breakers fitted to your BPS as is detailed in the thread.

Hardwiring to the CU is a good shout, you could still technically have the BPS in another room if you do a bit of through wall drilling the way I did?
    That to me would be the ideal install in your case.

Hope this helps mate.
    My BPS install was signed off by a spark as A-OK.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910