+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beresford 7520 - new op-amp chip - HELP !!

I'm gone.

Default Beresford 7520 - new op-amp chip - HELP !!

OK - so I've bought myself a new THS4032CD dual op-amp chip to upgrade my 7520 DAC.

So wtf do I do with it?!

Where does it go? What orientation?

Here's a pic of my 7520 innards showing the 2 (!) original op-amp chips ....

____

I realise this has been covered elsewhere, probably - but the most likely thread is 475 replies long ....
    Sorry.

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Have a look at this pic http://theartofsound.net/forum/showp...&postcount=427 , look closely at the line on the edge of the surface mount THS4032, yours should be the same, insert it the same.

Its very important not to put it in wrong, if your unsure, insert it in and post a picture before switching on

I'm gone.

Thanks Leo!

Blimey - talk about heart palpitations.

pulled out the old chip and a couple of the legs/pins kind of stuck, pulled some more and they twisted around. Totally mangled!

Luckily the new one slotted in silky smooth. Phew.

Just plugged it all in and COR STREUTH!! The 7520 as delivered is an excellent DAC, but with the new op-amp the extra transparency and immediacy of the sound is astonishing. Woop-de-doo!

I'm Gary.

Told you it was good Jerry!

Be good to know your more experienced opinion of it once it beds in a wee bit compared to other Dacs / CD players you've heard?
    Last edited by Gazjam; 27-04-2009 at 21:19.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Jerry.

But leave it a week or so before you comment because you will find it needs that time before it reaches its optimum setting. I would love to know why the sound changes but it definately does.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

Phew! It is a bit scary when you pull out the old opamp chips. I love the THS4032. I don't want to change it. Its the best IMHO.

Ade

I'm Rob.

You should use one of these. Only £1.30 and no more bent legs.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=2555

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    You should use one of these. Only £1.30 and no more bent legs.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=2555
    And just the thing for those awkward to get bogeys!
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Rob.

I'm more worried about having bent legs!

I'm Alex.

I am not a tech whizz but I extracted the original op-amp using a chip puller and positioned the new 4562 legs on on side of the socket and gently pushed the other legs into line and then pressed down evenly with a chip plunger or similar flat card. No bent legs. Take your time and check orientation of the chip, notch and dot

+ Reply to Thread