+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favourite DAC?

I'm Grant.

it is a Beresford tc 7510 which has all the mods APPARENTLY....NOT HAD IT LONG EITHER...THAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM.....WHEN THE HIFACE IS ON THE MUSIC COMES THROUGH ON ALL CHANNELS EVEN THOUGH PLUGGED IN TO NO 1... if the hiface is inactive but powered up the cd player in position 2 or the dvd in 3 just give out digital nonsense....unplug the highface and it works.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

synsei Guest

You will need to take this up with Stan. I had a similar problem with a BM and because I leave my gear on 24/7 it played havoc with my set up which is why I now have a Rega DAC. Hopefully Stan has sorted this issue on the mkII.

I'm Grant.

OK, THANKS
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I'd like to try one of Stan's current DAC models.

I had one about seven years ago (can't remember the model No.) and it didn't really meet my requirements. It was very clear and clean, but I found the sound lacking in body and depth. I know Stan started his DAC business off not long before I bought mine and I'm sure things have moved on. Anyway, I've seen much praise and not much that qualifies as criticism since.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

synsei Guest

It only becomes an issue if, like me, one tends to leave all the equipment powered up. It might not have been much of an issue even then if it wasn't for the fact that I tend to use my desktop PC to work on (and monitor the forums) when I am listening to CD's. Because the PC and the CDP were hooked up to the BM and both were switched on, the BM's control circuitry would get confused because it could detect two active inputs, and this was regardless of whether the source selection was set to manual or auto. It was a situation I just couldn't live with even though the BM did sound wonderful. Sometimes the unit would freeze and need a reset to coax it back to life.

EDIT: In its confused state the BM would fart like a trooper...

I'm Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Take away the expensive clothes of a modern DAC and what are you left with? A tenner's worth of bits (unless it's been blinged up to look posh )

many DAC chips are now multi-function with most if not all of 'it' built in. The infamous Philips thingy many on here wet themselves over was only a couple of mm square inside the multi-pin case and things have progressed on from there.

Here's a perfectly capable simple DAC that comes with wall-wart and optical lead for just over a tenner. Sounds really good, although I'm not claiming the ends of the earth for it -

I got that one, it's not that good TBH.

Currently have ten DACs of varying types to hand, the BM continues to shine in my system although its bass was too deep in Ali's systems at the recent Owston DIY meet...at home my system cant go that low so it works well. I also occasionally play with a DIY Arcam TDA1541 NOS DAC and an MF A3.24 upsampling DAC...all good
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Grant.

i HAVE DEDICATED lAPTOPS FOR THE MUSIC AND WERE NOT DOING ANYTHING...well not on the surface anyways.....must try tomorrow with the laptop in sleep mode and see if it is still a problem, or if it is just because the hiface has its 5 volts up t and it technically powered up.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    I got that one, it's not that good TBH.

Currently have ten DACs of varying types to hand, the BM continues to shine in my system although its bass was too deep in Ali's systems at the recent Owston DIY meet...at home my system cant go that low so it works well. I also occasionally play with a DIY Arcam TDA1541 NOS DAC and an MF A3.24 upsampling DAC...all good
    Ah c'mon Neal, everyone knows OB's don't do bass!

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'd like to try one of Stan's current DAC models.

I had one about seven years ago (can't remember the model No.) and it didn't really meet my requirements. It was very clear and clean, but I found the sound lacking in body and depth. I know Stan started his DAC business off not long before I bought mine and I'm sure things have moved on. Anyway, I've seen much praise and not much that qualifies as criticism since.

For the money paid you can't beat Stan's Dacs's for sound quality.
    Had a few of the over the years, best you can buy for the asking price.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Currently have ten DACs of varying types to hand, the BM continues to shine in my system although its bass was too deep in Ali's systems at the recent Owston DIY meet.
    That's one part of the frequency spectrum that had me a bit worried initially when I was busy designing the BM. Most DACs fall off the cliff at about 20Hz, partly because of the official audio specs from CD audio. A lot of speakers start to roll off at around 60Hz. But DVD audio can go down to 4Hz. I have a lot of customers who have extensive AV systems with subwoofers etc to facilitate the reproduction of those low frequency audio signals from their DVD collection. So chomping off the audio at 20Hz in line with 16Bit/44.1Kz CD audio would have robbed my customers of the ability to discover a bit more of what is hidden in many of their DVD and high resolution audio files.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast