+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favourite DAC?

I'm Luis.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    This is interesting. I tried a Young DAC in my system, using a Pioneer 757 universal player as a transport. There was no appreciable difference between the Young and the DAC in the Pioneer. I was quite surprised at the time, as was the owner of the DAC.
    Probably dependes on the system.

Enviado do meu HTC_M10h através do Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by SantanaCorreia View Post
    Probably dependes on the system.

That seems unlikely to me, but I suppose it is possible. Does make any discussion of what DAC is best completely pointless if it is true of course.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gone.

It does tie in with my view that the M2Tech DAC is nothing special.

But maybe not.

I think it depends on who is doing the listening!

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    The mods have really brought the XS into the realms of top quality and I wouldn't have bought it had it not been for them.

I am convinced the linear PSU raises the game for the M2TECH and it's a shame you didn't get the chance.

I agree that we are probably listening to different things. As long as we are all ok with our gear, it's no problem.
    I had a Young DAC ages ago and quite liked it, it got replaced by my first Audio Note DAC but memories are quite fond. I bought one again recently for the study system which had an Avondale PSU rather than the original wall wart, and to my ears (albeit based on a memory from about 7-8 years ago) it seems appreciably improved, of course all my other bits have improved as well since then so who knows.

I'm convinced the actual digital to audio conversion chip selection makes very little difference to a DAC's sound, it's pretty much all down to the output stage, in which case it makes sense that PSU can potentially make a huge difference.

Bigman80 Guest

Tom, I forgot the wall-wart!!!! I will send tomorrow. PM your address mate. Sorry...again!
    Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I had a Young DAC ages ago and quite liked it. I bought one again recently for the study system which had an Avondale PSU and to my ears (albeit based on a memory from about 7-8 years ago) it seems appreciably improved, of course all my other bits have improved as well since then so who knows.

I'm convinced the actual digital to audio conversion chip selection makes very little difference to a DAC's sound, it's pretty much all down to the output stage, in which case it makes sense that PSU can potentially make a huge difference.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Tom, I forgot the wall-wart!!!! I will send tomorrow. PM your address mate. Sorry...again!
    And I posted without checking whose comment I was replying to !

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    It does tie in with my view that the M2Tech DAC is nothing special.

But maybe not.

I think it depends on who is doing the listening!
    I had one for a week, quickly moved it on. It had the Avondale PSU and I tried it with valve and SS amplification.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Gary.

There was a reason it was considered a giant killer...
    as they say...back in the Day.
    Look up the big Dac bake off on Pinkfish, Young had more than a few positive comments compared to the competition.
    If your interested, look it up its educational.

Still use mine in the Office system, way better than I’ll ever need in that application, Happy to know though it’s better than I’ll ever need.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 16-06-2018 at 07:53.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm gone.

The Young seems to be one of those Marmite products - you either love it or hate it.

I'm Luis.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    The Young seems to be one of those Marmite products - you either love it or hate it.
    Took a quick look on that Pink Fish forum and could conclude one thing.

There is no better dac and the price tag is something that depends more on the manufacturers plan than on the product.

If the test had only been done without knowibg what dac was being tested...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast