+ Reply to Thread

Thread: marantz cd 63 drive replace

I'm nigel.

Default marantz cd 63 drive replace

clearing out some junk today and I happened on my once loved Marantz cd63.
    the drive in this machine died long ago and more out of curiosity than anything else I popped the hood for a looksee.
    I presume the drive is a standard Philips, is it feasible to replace said drive with another from the same stable?
    there are three connectors, one ribbon and two white connector blocks, one has four wires, the other six.
    as my technical skills are limited to spannering and screwing, can anyone offer any useful tips regarding a transplant.
    I can obtain drives from numerous doner dvd players etc, my thinking being said drives read and play cds!!
    help!!

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by sumday View Post
    clearing out some junk today and I happened on my once loved Marantz cd63.
    the drive in this machine died long ago and more out of curiosity than anything else I popped the hood for a looksee.
    I presume the drive is a standard Philips, is it feasible to replace said drive with another from the same stable?
    there are three connectors, one ribbon and two white connector blocks, one has four wires, the other six.
    as my technical skills are limited to spannering and screwing, can anyone offer any useful tips regarding a transplant.
    I can obtain drives from numerous doner dvd players etc, my thinking being said drives read and play cds!!
    help!!
    Hi

I'm away from my computer at the moment but IIRC it will be a CDM0 or CDM1 depending on its age. You will need to compare the unit with a pic. I think ? dutchaudioclassics.nl might have the details you are looking for.

But it might not be as easy as just swopping it out; you might need to calibrate it (and it might just need a good service rather than replacing).

Peter

I'm Stephen.

It will not be an easy swap out and you cannot just use any old cd / dvd drive! It will be model specific.

This may help :-
    http://www.iangclark.net/projects/CD63/CD63.html

Finding the correct replacement mech will either be simple or a nightmare.
    Hope it all works out for you!

Cheers.

I'm Richard.

Is the drive completely dead or is it just skipping/mistracking.
    I've repaired a few of these and found that the most common problem is the rails that transport the laser across the disc are coated in grease which tends to harden over time. Cleaning this off with the aid of some cotton buds and isopropyl, then re-applying some new silicone grease usually does the trick.
    Rich

I'm NotSoPissedOffNowCosMyHiFisUnpacked.

If its the original CD63 using the cast CDM0 or 1 transport, then a transport swap is far from straight forward!

If its the more common 90's type CD63 with the thin plastic front loading tray, it uses a VAM1202 linear mech. These often need changing after this amount of time. When I modify a player to sell, I always just replace the mech in order to ensure that the player will last a while

The process is well described on the link posted by Sonority. You will need to unsolder the 6 wire (Blue& White sled motor, Black & Orange to the limit switch and Yellow and Green to the spin motor) Make a connection diagram so you ensure you get the polarity right on the motors and pay attention to the cable routing so you dont end up with a wire in the way of any moving parts.

Its a very straight forward process with not setup required following replacement.

Incidentally, I've had approaching 20 of these player pass through my possession and cleaning the sled has never resolved an issue for me.....I could just be unlucky!!!

replacement drive

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAM1202-12...item51a83d2984
    Ian
    http://www.hifisounds.co.uk

Photo bucket - loads of mods!

SL1200- DIY PSU- DIY FET int regs-Denon DL103 by Expert Stylus Company on Isokenetic stabiliser & Sumiko HS-12 shell- Achromat - Isonoe feet, Meridian 200 Phono satge, Junson JA-88D, Audio Aero Capitole CD/ DAC, extreme modified Marantz SA7001, Squeezebox Touch modded to death!, Focal 826WSE- Kimber 8TC, Kimber and CAT5 attenuated DIY Interconnects, Kimber mains

"Leave Nothing as Standard"

+ Reply to Thread