+ Reply to Thread
Page 93 of 94 FirstFirst ... 438391929394 LastLast

Thread: RFC News

I'm Paul.

Default Studio Tannoy Refurbishment - IIILZ's

Had an interesting pair of ex-studio Tannoys (LSU/HF/3LZG/8's) which had the main panels doubled in thickness internally with the front panel doubled externally (a bit of a mess with roughly screwed in ply front baffles!). I've had these completely stripped, then removed the front baffles, routed the inside face to rebate them so that they sit flush with the inside edge of the edge panel bevels, and screwed/glued them back into place.

The owner wanted a painted front finish in an off-white, to mimic, yet contrast with the main drivers....a little like some JBL's I guess. Well, even with filling screw holes etc, it would have been seen through paint layers so I had the opportunity of trying out a new laminate finish which is a sort of high quality Formica. Very stiff, and very scratch resistant, available in a wide range of colours. I selected one that I thought would tick the boxes. It has a slight textured finish which isn't readily apparent from the photos. This was cut to size, and routed to take the driver opening into account before bonding in place.

The cabinets were tidied up and re-waxed using a high quality Carnauba and Beeswax finish.

The crossovers and switches were removed, rivets removed from crossover casings and crossovers completely overhauled and some very choice components selected to upgrade them before re-assembly. Switches were taken apart and properly cleaned and lubed with electrical lube before reassembly.

Finally, the cable connections were attended to. From the studio, this pair has simply had a captive cable pulled through a hole drilled in the back of the rear panel and terminated in a block connector. I cut the rear panel for some nice sunken gold plated binding posts, re-soldered connections internally and tried to leave the rear as original as possible besides this, partly as the labels and serial numbers were all on the rear.

These shots are of the finished result. See what you think. Any colour for this formica can be provided and even whole speakers done in it!

I'm Grant.

I like those a lot Paul. Always been partial to cream or white with the brown wood cabs, which in its self has been lifted nicely in colour after the rewax etc. It it easy to work with or is it a bit shattery?

My cabs are all double thick too.
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    DENON DV2900 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP - AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTH - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER23, SPOTIFY PREMIUM - ECHO DOT - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN's - Q ACOUSTIC BT3 actives - CANTON SUB - MAINS REGENERATED AND FILTERED.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I like those a lot Paul. Always been partial to cream or white with the brown wood cabs, which in its self has been lifted nicely in colour after the rewax etc. It it easy to work with or is it a bit shattery?

My cabs are all double thick too.
    Thanks Grant,

It's a bit fiddly to work with but not as shattery as old Formica panels which may have been on some 1960's kitchen worktops! It would be perfect for Lockwood Majors etc. Anyone for a bright purple pair?

I'm Geoff.

Very nice Paul. I like the front baffle treatment. I've seen early round chassis IIILZ's before. Which would these be, ten inch Monitor Gold or Monitor Red?
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Very nice Paul. I like the front baffle treatment. I've seen early round chassis IIILZ's before. Which would these be, ten inch Monitor Gold or Monitor Red?

These are 10 inch Monitor Golds Geoff, and quite an early pair at that.

I'm Paul.

A customer wants some Tannoy Monitor Red crossovers made to the same spec that I built some MG15's for him, so I dutifully trotted off to the workshop and started work:

These will be made with a switchable notch filter. The original Reds didn't use a notch, which came later with the improvements carried out with DC development first introduced for the 2 inch horns of the MGs . Some say that the extra filter affects dynamics, but what is meant by this is anyone's guess, since the introduction of the filter only affects the region which is problematical!

However, in order to keep the purity of the original design, I have added a switched filter which can be brought in or out as desired by pressing a rocker switch to be located on the side of the external crossover boxes.

Work in progress:

End of day:

I have already built the boxes which were veneered yesterday and are having their third coat of oil applied this evening.

More to come...

I'm Paul.

Further progress.

Boxes veneered and oil finished. Boards mounted and switches fitted with connections soldered. Juts the internal input and output wiring plus fitting of the lids left to do now:

I'm Paul.

Monitor Red external crossovers completed awaiting shipping:

I'm Andy.

I love this thread .....could watch it for hours .

I'm Paul.

Next job....complete overhaul of elderly Impulse H2s, RFC external crossovers, mid range upgrade, new dome tweeter, complete re-wire and external tidy up. Watch this space....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 93 of 94 FirstFirst ... 438391929394 LastLast