+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the best record brush?

I'm Ddeleted.

Default What's the best record brush?

My anti static carbon brush is looking the worse for wear and is long overdue replacement. What make are recognised as the best around at the moment.

I'm Richard.

And while we're at it - any tips for cleaning old records. I daresay there's already something on here. If some kind gent could just point me the right way...

I'm Nobody.

Ive always used those Carbon Fibre brushes you see on auction for about a fiver, absolutly perfect. Now if more expensive branded ones do a better job id like to know
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 18-06-2013 at 18:04.

I'm Dave.

Get yourself to E-Bay and look for a Watts Disc Preener or Manual Parastat. Not found better in 50 years.

I'm Ddeleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpinkman View Post
    And while we're at it - any tips for cleaning old records. I daresay there's already something on here. If some kind gent could just point me the right way...
    If budget is limited go for a Knosti Disco at about £40 on ebay. Better but a lot more expensive would be something like a Moth RCM 2nd hand at about £200+

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    Ive always used those Carbon Fibre brushes you see on auction for about a fibre, absolutly perfect. Now if more expensive branded ones do a better job id like to know

That's my thoughts, but wondering if there are better ones and are they worth the extra money.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Get yourself to E-Bay and look for a Watts Disc Preener or Manual Parastat. Not found better in 50 years.
    When new maybe but AFAIK all you can get these days are 2nd Hand and not sure there would be much point in replacing one knackered old cleaner for another of a different make.

I'm Dave.

I recently bought a new, sealed in the wrapper, one of each. So, you can get them.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    Ive always used those Carbon Fibre brushes you see on auction for about a fiver, absolutly perfect. Now if more expensive branded ones do a better job id like to know
    +1 These types of carbon fibre, anti static brushes are great, the dust just lifts off. Loads available looking pretty much the same just with different brand names stamped on. They do a great job and if you avoid some of the much more expensive 'brand name' ones generally great value too. Never felt the need to use anything else

I'm DAVID.

I mostly buy old vinyl and have tried many cleaning methods over decades.
    My latest favourite is SOAKing for TEN minutes
    in a strong mix of fairy platinum/warm [not hot] water.
    then brush slowly with microfleece cloth both directions under the watermix.
    Rinse thoroughly under strong shower spinning on a dowel or similar.
    a different microfleece again rinsing with poured deionised water in clean bowel[car battery water -wilko etc] Water should be clinging to the cleaned grooves and drainoff lovely
    Air dry -use kitchen paper towel for excess.
    keep dry brushing to absolute minimum[it adds static and attracts dust-less if you earth urself when carbon brushing]
    I Don't worry over labels too much after all I paid little and they are surprisingly resilient to water damage-drying back to previous condition ok.
    Amazing amounts of muck come off-see the shine!!
    Prized finds are then PERMOSTATED-pricey
    I have vinyl over 40 years old so treated playing better than when new.
    When playing crackly vinyl use a LIGHT misting of deionised water for spraymist bottle.as it revolves.[too much will clog stylus]
    Really bad ones-use Ilfasol [or similar-rinseaid may suit] 2,3 drops ONLY in similar spray.
    Several treatments are needed sometimes.
    Needle will collect the deep loosened debris -so be ready to brush it using water from back to front
    Clean sleeves with similar mix.
    Patience needed and perseverance.-think ZEN or Karma.!!!
    My audible range 20hz to 10Khz Yours?

I'm Richard.

Default Zerostat

Does anyone remember the old zerostat pistol. Can you still get them. Im currently using axwet spong in an ashtray, and even by my standards that's scruffy.

I'm Spartacus.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpinkman View Post
    Does anyone remember the old zerostat pistol. Can you still get them. Im currently using axwet spong in an ashtray, and even by my standards that's scruffy.
    I still got my old zerostat going strong after 30 odd years! yh you can still get them on ebay or amazon
    Gary

Audere est Facere

A thorens TD160 mkii moded turney thing, with a wandy thing nd shure v15 III tracky thing, a quad 99 small up power thing, a quad 99 biggy up power thing, a marantz cd6003 shiny disc spinny thing, a Heathkit tuney thingy two quad 21L boxy vibratey things nd some insulated bendy metal things nd a diy vinyl spinny cleany thing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast