+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cd sound thread needed

I'm Jason.

Default cd sound thread needed

maybe there is one and i've yet to find it but a thread
    on the sound of cd's would be cool.
    i bought a aerosmith greatest hits cd and the sound was so loud and that was with the volume turned very low.
    the sound of the cd was just really poor.
    Charlotte churches latest e.p's i find has pretty dire sound.
    i am finding it pretty hard to get good sounding cd's

I'm notAlone.

Well, I think there's a pretty easy way to get good sounding CDs : just avoid pop/rock during the 1990-2008 period...

I don't know about this particular Aerosmith "greatest hits" collection, but the albums of Aerosmith are usually a bit louder, without being horrible like most of the "Loudness Wars" albums.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Paul.

There's a thread here about cd quality.

I'm Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by twickers View Post
    There's a thread here about cd quality.
    thanks paul

I'm andrew.

Avoid anything produced by Rick Rubin.
    Andy.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by roob View Post
    Avoid anything produced by Rick Rubin.
    Jason,

I assume that any suggestion to avoid them all in favour of vinyl would not be helpful?

Trouble is a crap CD sounds even more crap on a high quality CDP...Not that there aren't many bad vinyl pressings around, but a needle is somehow slightly more forgiving except in the worst cases.

It might make for a shorter list/sticky to encourage AOSers to report particularly high sound quality CDs.

Just a thought.

Peter

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I'd say that the 1990's was good for CD issues, as the loudness thing hadn't crept in and 24 bit mastering with bit-mapping was in use in the latter part at least, giving excellent midrange resolution right down into the digital noise floor - so analogue tape hiss could be properly reproduced

This whole loudness wars thing seems to be mainly on pop/rock and similar contemporary issues, classical releases I think avoided this?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Geoff.

Please tell me you didn't actually pay for a Charlotte Church CD. The toes of my slippers are curling up at the thought and I'm not even wearing them!

Seriously though, I don't seem to come across many poor CDs. Maybe it's the type of music I listen to has artists who have a say on the sound quality.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jason.

yes i paid 1p for it,some of the sounds are ok,
    it is just the sound is pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Please tell me you didn't actually pay for a Charlotte Church CD. The toes of my slippers are curling up at the thought and I'm not even wearing them!

Seriously though, I don't seem to come across many poor CDs. Maybe it's the type of music I listen to has artists who have a say on the sound quality.

I'm Jason.

thats a good point.
    i bought a scott walker and the walkers brothers cd that sound really good on my system.
    one of the best i have in terms of sound
    this is the cd

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kember View Post
    Jason,

I assume that any suggestion to avoid them all in favour of vinyl would not be helpful?

Trouble is a crap CD sounds even more crap on a high quality CDP...Not that there aren't many bad vinyl pressings around, but a needle is somehow slightly more forgiving except in the worst cases.

It might make for a shorter list/sticky to encourage AOSers to report particularly high sound quality CDs.

Just a thought.

Peter

+ Reply to Thread