+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrading my Cartridge/Phono Amp

MartinT Guest

Default Upgrading my Cartridge/Phono Amp

As many of you will know, I have successfully transitioned to a fully modded Technics SL-1210 with Jelco SA250ST arm. My current cartridge and phono amp (Denon DL-160 and Gram Amp 2SE) have shown me just what this deck can achieve and they has given me a taste for more of the same. I'm ready for the high end with a low output MC cartridge and suitable phono amp or step-up tranny.

Possible upgrades include a Denon DL-301-II (obvious, to keep the Denon sound I like) or Audio Technica AT-OC9-II (I used to have a Mk. I which was good). These should both match my arm. I also used to run a Dynavector 20A which I adored. What do they have that would be suitable?

For phono amp, I'm thinking of the PS Audio GCPH as it features balanced outputs (my whole system is balanced) and sounded very nice at last year's Heathrow exhibition. Alternatively, I could keep the 2SE and use a step-up transformer.

What do the assembled think? There are many cartridges in the £200-500 range that I'm unfamiliar with. There seem to be fewer phono amps with balanced outputs. All suggestions welcome!

MartinT Guest

Deathly silence :-(
    Doesn't anyone have any recommendations for me, especially mid-price cartridges?

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Hi martin

well if it were still the same price i would urge you to consider the Music Maker moving iron cart by Len Gregory this is one of the very best i have heard at any price its not an MC but oh my god does it sound good ' it cost me £425 back in 99 ' the current one seems about £700 so a bit out of your budget , why not ask Dave about the OC9 he seems to think its a great match for the 250st ' which you have .
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

MartinT Guest

Thanks Chris. Using a DL-160 yourself, how would you characterise it? I ask because it's really quite difficult to differentiate between the sound of the turntable, arm, phono amp and cartridge. All I can do is swap the cartridge for another one and listen to the differences, which I've done with my Grado Prestige Gold.

I'm Steve.

I very much like the sound of the Audio Technica 33 PTG I got from Audio Cubes2. Took 2 weeks to arrive. Cost me the $$$'s and import tax.
    Still worth it I think. It is running in now and sounding better and better.

I took the recommendation from other on fora who also use it with the Dynavector P75 phono stage. That can run the 33PTG in current amp. / phono enhancer mode and it further improves the sound.

For around under £300 I think it is great value.
    Before that I had
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm Andy.

Hi Martin

As far as cartridges are concerned you have already used the Dynavector DV-20x, that is where I would personally start, other alternatives would be a Koetsu Black. I currently and use both of these, I have used the Music Maker in the past but never quite 'got away with it' as the saying goes. Maybe I passed it on too soon but more than happy now. As a extreme alternative try an find a 2nd hand My Sonic Emminent, these are sublime in every sense of the word.

Phono stages, again from personal experience and usage. Try and check out the Modwright SWP 9.0se (currently use this one myself). Past personal recommendations are Audio Valve Sunilda (brilliant if you have 2 arms on the TT) Tom Evens Groove, very good, but for some reason after a year or so felt dissatisfied and sold it on, bit of an error in judgment there I think. The one that gave me most please in some ways was the Audio Note M1 RIAA phono. I think a current AoS member has my original one in current use.

Does that help , hope so. Don't know where you are but you are more than welcome to drop by get a listen to the Modwright

Andy - SDDW

P.S. Just seen you are in Basingstoke, you could try Keith at Angelsound in Watford, usually has some nice bits on dem ect
    Last edited by Sand Dancin Donkey Walker; 27-04-2009 at 13:38.
    HV Electrical Engineer - SAF (Sustainable Aviation Fuel) Plant

I'm ILOB.

If you considering the PS audio phono stage try in your system first in my system it spiked badly and no matter what I did I could not get it to sing The Aqvox might be worth a try have not herd it myself but has some great reviews and if you willing to fork out a bit more then the Whest 30r is a great phonostage If you can go single ended then the WD phonostage is a great little unit
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

The OC-9 gets my vote. Very dynamic imo
    ---------------------------------------------------
    recovering audioholic

Technics: SL 1210 mk2 / KAB PS1200 psu /Trans-fi Terminator / AT-OC9MLII / WD ph3s /Bluesound node 2i/Musical Fidelity Ms3i/ WADkit 6550 / Tannoy revolution xt8f

Gareth.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sand Dancin Donkey Walker View Post
    As far as cartridges are concerned you have already used the Dynavector DV-20x, that is where I would personally start
    Thanks Andy. I haven't used a DV-20x, it was a 20A2, a much older cartridge but boy did it sound good. See photo of mine here (seems very rare):

However, the DV-20XL does look to be a good cartridge and has been favourably received. Price is good too. It goes on my shortlist.

I'm Andy.

Martin

Should have read your post a touch more carefully

Though the DV20x is a very good MC cartridge. I tend to exchange the Koetsu and the Dynavector around, both have their good points and can live with either of them, But have the luxury of been able to use both.

Good luck with your search as it's not easy trying to decide which cartridge to go for, you don't often find a dealer who will loan out a cartridge.

Andy - SDDW
    HV Electrical Engineer - SAF (Sustainable Aviation Fuel) Plant

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast