+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello from Reading area

I'm Richard.

Default Hello from Reading area

Hello all

Just joined after looking around for a decent hifi forum for a while and stumbled upon AoS. I'm a relative newbie having only been into hifi for about 12 years. I bought a basic turntable to hook up to a crappy music system sometime around 1998 as I had bought a few records on vinyl and my dad had a few vinyls in the loft I thought might be worth a listen.

When the music system broke I bought a NAD amp to replace it and hooked it up to the music system's old speakers (can't remember what make the music system was but I think maybe Aiwa or something). I couldn't believe the additional detail that came through those old basic speakers and was hooked. Shortly after I bought some wharfedale 8.4 floorstanders which again was a step change and loved it. I started experimenting with different budget and second hand kit for a few years.

I got into bedroom DJing about ten years ago and ran a pair of 1210s through a cambridge audio A50 amp and old wharfedale Programme 20 speakers that came out of an old pub! Even this modest kit sounded good from the 1210s.

I could never quite get a sound I liked from the Wharefdale's 8.4s until I eventually bought a Roksan caspian M1 integrated which I love the sound of and can make pretty much any speaker sound good.

Those 8.4s have long gone and I have now built my system around the Roksan caspian M1 and ended up with: Quad 11L speakers, bi-wired with QED original biwire cable, on Apollo AZ stands, sand filled; NAD C541i HDCD; Project debut 2 TT; project phono box; Denon TU260LII tuner, connected to digital TV aerial in loft (not used for tv), on a Soundstyle 5 tier rack. Varous interconnects from Cable talk and QED.

I'm really happy with the setup except the TT. I find the project gives a harshness on some mid to high frequencies the I wouldn't normally associate with vinyl listening. I prefer the sound from the NAD at present which has fantastic bass control. I miss the timing and musicality of the Technics and would like to get another 1210 to replace the project in the near future. I never realised before how much the techies can be modded either, which appeals. I realise the Quads may not be good enough for the Roksan but I love the sound, they match my current living layout very well and let a good amp shine.

We're quite restricted in hifi placement due to 4 month old baby daughter, but I am hoping that when she starts to crawl she will quickly learn that daddy's hifi is a no go area (if not, baby fence will be purchased!)

Currently listening habits are everything from old soul and funk records (used to be main preference in bedroom dj days) to classical, especially solo piano, to a lot of stuff from the Ninjatune record label.

The majority of the time the system is playing Classic FM in our house and I want to setup an FM dedicated aerial in the loft if anyone has any recommendations. Also considering a Tuner that can do DAB for stations like JAZZ FM or even a box that can do internet radio. My wife would love that as she is from South Korea and would love to be able to tune into radio from there.

Cheers

Richard

I'm ChrisB.

Hi Richard and here's a very warm welcome from me.
    I must say that your introductory post is absolutely excellent so thank you for that.
    Get the baby fence now! When our daughter was tiny, I modified an old cot surround to fence off the gear and it worked a treat - I think Jeff, another of our members has done a similar thing too.

Cheers

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Richard,

Yes a fine introduction both to the Forum and to the wonderful world of audio.

To answer your query concerning the reception of S. Korean broadcasts, there are two approaches. The first is to listen to any BBC World Service programmes that might be broadcast in Korean. The BBC do not openly publish their World Service broadcast frequencies, however if you write to them they will be able to help:

BBC World Service
    Audience Relations Team
    1st Floor Brock House
    19 Langham Street
    London
    W1A 1AA

The second method is, as you have noted, to use internet-radio. The following web site gives a list of such broadcast services.

http://www.shoutcast.com/radio/Korean

Regarding an aerial for your Denon tuner, well your tuner has the following specification:

FM sensitivity 1.2uV for full limiting
    AM sensitivity 18uV for full limiting.

The antenna on the back of the tuner will be fine for the AM band. For FM a simple 3 element Yagi will be fine if mounted externally. If you can only manage loft mounting, then you may need a 4-element design. Also if you mount the antenna in the loft, you may need to remove the aluminised roof felt near it, as this will screen out the RF to some extent.
    Barry

I'm Rob.

Hi Richard, nice detailed opening. Anyone who likes soul and funk is alright by me

Used to have a massive 7" (1500 - 2000!) collection in the 70's as I used to DJ on the riverboats on the Thames several nights a week when I was a teenager. Spent a lot of money on the latest imports

I like some of the Ninjatune stuff. Have you tried Alien Chatter - Music For Aliens, Lemongrass - Sirius, Tokyo Tower or Four80East? just a smidgen of what I like at the mo.

Rob.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Richard.

Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the info on the aerials Barry. For the FM aerial I am thinking of building one myself for the loft - I would like to fit external but we are currently renting and will probably move in the near future so I will have to stick with loft aerials for now. I have seen plans for making 3 element FM aerials on the internet so I will have a search for 4 element designs as well.

I am considering something like a Denon dnp720e to do the internet radio as these are relatively inexpensive. I was considering building a media server silent PC however I want something as easy to use as power on power off that doesn't need to go through the TV.

Looks like there is real wealth of information on this forum, glad I found it.

Richard

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Hi Richard and welcome to AoS

Used to be a bit of a bedroom dj myself,although it was Jungle/D&B for me! Love the ninjatune label with a passion Check out this link http://bit.ly/13xG7BX for a classic ninjatune album being released on vinyl
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Paul.

Welcome to the forum Richard, I'm just around the corner from you in Newbury

I am sure you'll find us all very welcoming and enjoy your time here

P.
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

+ Reply to Thread