+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Am I deaf or what?

I'm Nodrog.

Default Am I deaf or what?

I decided that I needed some music in the workshop. I am a woodturner now and my main occupation is making dust. This means that anything within the confines of the workshop tends to clog up pretty quickly.

When I was after some old record players to break for parts, one of them was a Fidelity horror. The speakers are typical of their time. 8"x5" paper cones in a cardboard box with a back that probably touches the sides in at least one place, sort of distributed port sort of thing.

A kind friend donated a Sony AV system some time ago which had four dinky little square thingies and a Sub. It sounded so horrible that I promptly sent it to the loft.

So, last evening, I connected the Fidelity boxes to the Sony and played a CD. And I listened..........what??? The bass was a little er... thin, so I dragged the Sony sub down from the loft and blow me down, I actually enjoyed listening to this 'rubbish' For a workshop system, more than adequate.

I wonder why it sounds so good, lets face it, it should be bloody awful. I guess its the immediacy. Very efficient paper cones seem to make for a lively, dare I say, musical, sound. Compared with all my accurate, heavily doped bextrene speakers (like KEFs), I wouldn't say its better by any means but it sure is different. Does it actually matter if its accurate if it means I enjoy the music? I wonder if this is the secret behind all those loving older speakers and horns especially. Its very in yer face.

I don't expect this system to replace my OTL/57's any day now but my time in the workshop will be fun. Must remember not to jump up and down when turning. Stuff is supposed to be round.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

No crossovers, added bass from the sub and what appears to be a smoothly rolled off treble. Not an issue at all if the mid communicates so well
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Rob.

Music without bass is not music to me. I couldn't live without a sub or 4
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Rick.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Music without bass is not music to me. I couldn't live without a sub or 4
    Just get speakers with 4 subs built in. Saves loads of hassle
    Bits:

Amps:

Avondale

Analogue:

Acoustic Signature Analogue 1 mkIII

Gold Note PH10

Digital:

Resolution Audio Opus21

Speakers:

AudioNote J

I'm Michael.

No Gordon your not deaf - Your just enjoying the music.
    Back in 70's I when I was working in Holland, I took over an apartment from a fellow 'brit' who had returned home. He had temporarily left a few of his personal items behind including his 'stereo'.
    It was a fairly modest system consisting of a PL12D, a small Rotel amp and a pair of Wharfdale 'bookshelf' speakers. At the time, my system in England consisted of Quad 33 / 303, Thorens 124-2 with an SME 3009 S2 Imp. driving a pair of B & W DM70's, and for 2 or 3 weeks I wouldn't even deign to switch his system on.
    However, eventually 'musical deprivation' took over, so I raised the speakers off the floor, made sure all the leads were securely attached to the correct terminals etc., and then put on one of his records. The music filled the room - SHOCK! HORROR!! it sounded 'bloody wonderful'.
    Perhaps one may think too much about the 'reproduction system' rather than the music. At the time I just sat back amazed and enjoyed it.

Regards

Mike Kelshaw

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

hi Gordon,
    As others have said, there is a lot to be said for simplicity, especially when it is all about the music communicating with you in a particular way that just sounds right to you!
    I think many of us have lost our way at some point, and forgotten why we got into this in the first place.
    Don't give it a second thought, just enjoy it for what it is, and what it does.
    Anthony,TD...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

+ Reply to Thread