+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quad cog rot

Default Quad cog rot

Last night whilst playing my beloved quad 67 cd, the disctray started to stick. I opened the player to find the disctray mechanism cogs had started to disintergrate.This,to whom know about these things is apparently known as
    Cog rot. Does anyone know where I can get replacements from ? just missed one on ebay..
    Tom B.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I love the 67, very funky and nice sound.

You could try popping to a model shop and grabbing a bag of assorted cogs, failing that you may find a dead 67 CD somewhere.

It uses the philips CDM9/44 transport of which there were thousands made so it may be a case of finding a dead player that utilises that transport and doing a bit of surgery.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I've seen this problem on Arcam Alpha 5s, which uses the same mech. Arcam have spare cogs for about a tenner and it's a simple job to fit.

Ed.

Quads are definatly Philips based machines..Micromega 'Stage' player were terrible for sticking..You don't get any of this with Sony mechs.

It's definitely Philips and the mech was discontinued in the nineties, I doubt you'll find one but you can open and close the door manually if you remove the blue gear.

We're advising people not to buy CD players any more, mechs are very difficult to find for the latest models never mind old ones, failure is unpredictable and mechs are no longer made.

Get an iPod touch because it'll sound better, it's terrific fun to own and it'll give you time to decide what to do next.

Ashley

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

We're advising people not to buy CD players any more, mechs are very difficult to find for the latest models never mind old ones, failure is unpredictable and mechs are no longer made.

Get an iPod touch because it'll sound better...
    {Cough splutter}

Some slightly absolutist views there, Ash!

Sorry I didn't get a chance to pop by your demo at Bristol, btw. I had a bit of a 'mare' at the weekend with one thing and another - don't ask! Hope the show was a success for you. Steve has told me some good things.

Marco.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley James View Post

Get an iPod touch because it'll sound better, it's terrific fun to own and it'll give you time to decide what to do next.

Ashley
    I just don't know what to say !!

I realise that it's a controversial statement to fanatics like you lot but a Shuffle costs £32 and sounds as good as the best CD players, so it'd be worth trying and reporting back to the Forum. I've got one and an older iPod too, I use an Apple TV as my source in the TV room and an Airport Express in the sitting room that I stream to from my Macbook Pro.

I have the advantage over you lot of having heard and compared manufacturers dem DAC boards, so know how good CD can sound. The CD67 was a good player, there are worse now, but a Shuffle will be better. Trust me, computers (Apple ones) are the future of hi fi and it'll be better for it.
    Ashley

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley James View Post
    Trust me, computers (Apple ones) are the future of hi fi and it'll be better for it.
    Ashley
    You won't find me disagreeing with Ashley here, my Apple running complete unencoded files into a proper DAC completely beats any CD player I've owned, and many that I haven't.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I've just posted a synopsis of the situation on the Bristol Show thread, which will probably start a war. AVI is declaring war on Hi End with a couple of small monitors and a Sub. They are not a "Mug's Eyeful" but they are David's to traditional Goliaths and extremely unpopular with "separatists" who cannot believe they deliver.

Ashley

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast