+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Quad cog rot

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley James View Post
    Marco I suspect that if you heard them in good domestic surroundings, you'd have a hell of shock. And I rate your loudspeakers higher than most!

Ash
    Why not lend him a pair to find out?

Default quad cog rot

Coming back to the original subject "Quad cog rot" I have hunted high and low for one of these cogs ( arcam, Quad,various componant companies .)only to be told its obsolete,cant get them any more..Well I found one ...in Tiewan for the princely sum of $20 -£ 10...Now the fun and games start...fitting the thing in the cd player. Any advice chaps ????.

I'm Mike.

Default Formosa People It's Taiwan

TAIWAN is not known for ties! I've been there; my wife was born and raised there.

Beautiful island (=Formosa (Portuguese))

Ten percent of the world's chips (!!) were made there a few years ago.

TAIWANESE own/run a great many of the successful companies in China.

Its flora and fauna are magnificent, as are its many typhoons (hurricanes) and earthquakes.

It has the tallest building in the world. Well, probably did yesterday, as taller ones seem to be erected daily.

It has (probably) the newest and most sophisticated underground/over-street train systems which is, I believe, fully automated, extensive, and VERY CHEAP.

Population is a little over 2 million; languages are Taiwanese, Mandarin and Haka and the island is a little bigger than Ireland.

'Made in Taiwan' (the Republic of China) has now given over to 'Made in China' (the People's Republic of China)
    Last edited by Mike Reed; 10-03-2008 at 21:56. Reason: error

Sorry Mike for the spelling mistake,I tend to spell things wrong when excited about somethng.Thanks for the info on Taiwan, Didnt they break away from China a few years ago ?? I seem to remember China laying siege and surrounding them with battleships.

I'm Mike.

Default Apologies, Sugdenman

Conversely, I get excited about things when people make mistakes! (Sorry, it's my teaching past; gets to you!)

Seriously, though, it is a fascinating place which is (well) off the tourist trail. One half is flat and industrialised, t'other is mountains and rainforest.

Cash-my-cheque (Chiang Kai Chek) fled from Mao's army to Taiwan in 1949 and set up his 'Republic of China '. The incident you refer to (one of many) was a few years ago when China pointed all its missiles etc. at Taiwan because it objected to the first democracy elections. The good old U.S. of A. sent its battlefleet to the straits to 'influence' China. Then it died down, but the Taiwanese have been living with this sword-brandishing for yonks, and don't bat an eyelid. Likewise earthquakes, which are roughly on a par with militant China as far as annoyances go.

Good luck with you 'made in Taiwan' part.

They aren't difficult to fit but usually the laser fails ten minutes after you've done it. Or that's what happened to us whenever we fixed one!

I visited Taipei several times in the early nineties and remembering hearing ATC100's driven by adapted telephone amplifiers, the ones with 300Bs in them. The Americans installed a telephone system for them during the occupation and used transformer coupled, Tube Amplifiers with a massive 20kHz bandwidth to relay the signals.

In the twenties, when they were trying to send telephone speech across the States they built amps with a 3.5kHz bandwidth and put them every few miles to boosy the signal, by the time they reached the other side, the sound was recognisable as a human voice, but unintelligible because of the phase effects of adding loads of 3.5kHz filters together. Opening the bandwidth to 20kHz cured the problem and when the technology advanced, redundant telephone amplifiers were pressed into service for hi fi.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    They will one day, this all happened in the early 80s with CD, and there's been one or two CD players sold since then. Computer based audio is the future, most have already accepted it, now the audiophiles have to come round.
    Vinyl is the future :P

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Conversely, I get excited about things when people make mistakes! (Sorry, it's my teaching past; gets to you!)

Seriously, though, it is a fascinating place which is (well) off the tourist trail. One half is flat and industrialised, t'other is mountains and rainforest.

Cash-my-cheque (Chiang Kai Chek) fled from Mao's army to Taiwan in 1949 and set up his 'Republic of China '. The incident you refer to (one of many) was a few years ago when China pointed all its missiles etc. at Taiwan because it objected to the first democracy elections. The good old U.S. of A. sent its battlefleet to the straits to 'influence' China. Then it died down, but the Taiwanese have been living with this sword-brandishing for yonks, and don't bat an eyelid. Likewise earthquakes, which are roughly on a par with militant China as far as annoyances go.

Good luck with you 'made in Taiwan' part.
    Been there many times in the '80s and '90s. Yeah, parts are beautiful but some parts are rough Kaohsiung (sp) for example. Yushan national park and the mountain Oolong tea plantations are beautifull. Learned the Taiwanese tea ceremony and brought all the bits back with me, no where near as complicated as the Japanese way, but if you want good Oolong that is where to get it and that is how to make it.

My favorite places are the tea houses up in the hills north of Taipei, so contemplative and peacefull.

Lots of Japanese influence, shoes off for example. Taiwanese, well definitely the most friendly group of Chinese going, especially compared with Cantonese which we see mostly in the UK who are largely rude and unsophisticated. The KMT mainland lot still have lots Shanghai and Beijing character but the locals are gems. There was still a lot of antipathy between them and the KMT lot back in the 90s.
    Last edited by WikiBoy; 27-04-2008 at 00:11.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345