+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LP sound from CDs

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I know 3 folks whose ears I trust that rate the valved Jolida DAC very highly.

Personally, I'd recommend a Beresford Bushmaster DAC as well.
    In my system the Jolida is the most LP sounding Dac Ive ever heard. Its seen off quite a few other dacs that I have had the pleasure of listening too at home, some of which Ive actually owned, these being

Owned and sold by me at a considerable loss since I brought them all new

Cambridge Dacmagic
    M2Tech Young
    Audiolab CDQ
    Eastern Electric Tube Dac

Borrowed and tried in the system when evaluating the options

Naim nDac
    Northstar Essensio
    Metrum Octave

Its quite amazing that apart from the Dacmagic the Jolida is the cheapest on the list Ive tried and its the one thats staying, Im no longer looking for a Dac and I no longer spin cd's, all my files are played on a Mac Mini straight into the Dac via a Hiface for coax connection.

Hope this helps

Lee
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Easy on the ears all day long means summat's afoot IMO AND IME - SO THERE
    Not necessarily. I can (and often do) listen to music on my system, quite literally, ALL DAY LONG, as the sound it produces, amongst other things, is 'easy on the ear'. However, that term is very subjective!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

hmmm... well, yes, if it's NOT easy on the ear all day for me it gets the boot! But I think I know what you mean Dave!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm gone.

Live music is not necessarily easy on the ear - it can be raucous and uncomfortable, be it a jazz saxophone at full throttle or a violin played to its limit. I prefer to aim for the unvarnished truth.

Hee hee - - this is a very contentious subject for an audio forum!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I'm sorry, I do still differentiate between 'easy on ears' and 'bland' but as usual, didn't express it properly.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Live music is not necessarily easy on the ear - it can be raucous and uncomfortable, be it a jazz saxophone at full throttle or a violin played to its limit. I prefer to aim for the unvarnished truth.

Hee hee - - this is a very contentious subject for an audio forum!

Yep agree with this. Sometimes your system should make your ears hurt a bit if that's what the music set out to do. Take distorted guitar, or Joni Mitchell tearing mics apart, as other examples that can be 'raucous', but that's the point! I have had systems that didn't really portray these bits instead making everything softer, smoother, but they were fatiguing in the wrong way as they were boring!
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Martin.

Thanks for all the feedback and comments. It gives me many options to think about.

My aim is to get reproduction as near a live performance as possible e.g.
    I went to a Swan Lake performance many years ago (the Moscow Ballet Company if I remember correctly).
    I have a Deutsche Grammophon LP of Swan Lake and it is very close to the live performance. Very different to a Decca CD I have which is flat and boring.

To start narrowing down the options:

On the CDP front – does the Marantz CD63 II Ki Signature or Quad 67 CD fit the bill as described by Marco.

On the turntable front – rather than fiddle with my current turntable, what would be a good upgrade using currently available equipment at a sensible cost and not going esoteric?

cheers
    Martin

I'm Paul.

My criteria for a 'vintage' CD player is one you can get replacement lasers for. Also would concentrate on a good transport. Can't recall hearing a CD63 KI but remember an impressive Quad dem with the 67. How it really stands up to current designs I am not sure and don't know if it is still serviceable. Marantz players I have heard that impressed have generally been the more upmarket designs. I wouldn't get hung up on multibit either as it is the implementation that counts. There aren't many 1541 based designs less than 20 years old.

I also don't think it is a desirable or realistic aim to get concert hall sound at home. It realy is impossible to replicate that kind of sound. Also bear in mind most recordings are studio based rather than live concerts. Invariably the later are tweaked in the studio to iron out flaws and render them playable on domestic equipment that is usually not of hi-fi quality.

I'm Julian.

Here's a cheap DAC that promises more of an 'analogue' sound -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Non-Oversa...item2ec8735917

I know next to nothing about DACs so maybe someone who does could comment on the tech specs and whether it is a potentially interesting product ...
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I once had the chance to listen to a variety of 1950's Decca CD A-D masterings with the engineer that did them. I commented on the differences as some were sweet and more than one was a bit rough and almost harsh. "That's EXACTLY what the masters sounded like!" he replied with feeling, very proud at getting the transfers done to exactly mirror what he heard from the original tapes, which incidentally were in far better condition than many of the 60's and 70's analogue tapes he'd worked with...

CD SHOULD get you nearer to the heart of the original mix, assuming the recording, editing and mixing was done well to start with. I'm sorry to be so negative on the Thorens, but updating the cartridge to one the SME III and other tonearms will work with, together with the phono stage suggestion, which I haven't heard, should lift your vinyl experiences to another level.

The CD63 KI version could be strident in many systems and it was perfect for slugging with the old MF X-10D valve buffer, or better, the DAC that MF made in the X series at the time. For not too much money, I do feel you could leapfrog this once popular machine with something like the far better cased Arcam Diva 72 and 82 machines or my long-term favourite, the original Rega Planet CD player, still serviceable and tweakable should you wish to look to some bodging (look on the Acoustica site for inspiration for the Planet and CD63 models)..

Hope this helps with future direction.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast