+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mispressed Records

I'm ChrisB.

Default Mispressed Records

Has anyone had any spectacularly messed up pressings?
    I'm not talking about the usual quality control balls-ups that mean the disc is badly warped or really noisy for example, I mean total fundamental cock-ups.

Here are a couple of examples:
    The first copy of 'Cheap Thrills' by Big Brother & the Holding Company that I owned had side one pressed fine but side two was something that sounded like old fashioned fairground organ music.

I got a bit of a surprise tonight when I played an album for the first time. I bought a secondhand copy of 'Seven' by Bob Seger a few weeks ago, cleaned it last week and thought I'd give it a spin this evening. The first track was a Bo Diddley cover, the second was a version of Stephen Stills' 'Love the One You're With'. I didn't realise it was a covers album and thought it odd that I hadn't noticed that it was, so, always curious about the novelty of a new cover version, I picked up the sleeve to see what the other tracks were.

I was a bit surprised to see that there weren't any others on the track listing that I recognised and, furthermore, there was a note that said "All songs written by Bob Seger". Hmm, that seemed odd because I knew the two tracks I'd already heard were not his.

So I stopped the turntable & looked at the label. The album was 'Seven' and the artist was Bob Seger and with no mention of the Bo Diddley or Stills songs either.

Next stop - Google!
    So I searched for "Who Do You Love" "Love the One You're With" and found that they were the first two tracks of 'Smokin; O.P.'s' by Bob Seger....an album of cover versions!

'Seven'__________________________________________________ ________'Smokin' O.P.'s'

.....and 'Smokin' O.P.'s is excellent, by the way!

I'm Alan.

At least it came good in the end
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Paul.

My father has a copy of Mark Knopfler - Cal on CD which labelled throughout as such but has infant got Def Leppard - Hysteria on instead, oops!
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Can't top any of those, save to say my copy of Charlie Byrd's 'Blues for Night People' has the centre labels reversed.

(Not the same image as my copy, which is on the French Savoy label.)

The label for Side A is on side B and vice versa. Wouldn't have know otherwise, had it not been for the fact that the two sides have a different number of tracks.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread