+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dave's Starter Kit.

I'm ChrisB.

You've just discovered the miracle of stereo!!!!!!!!!!!!

'In The Head Audio' - try it with a Pink Floyd album. You might hate the music, & it might lead you to drug abuse, but it's really................int...er...esting

I'm Confused.

Thumbs up

Attn. Steve and Chris,
    Thank God !!!!! I was hoping that I hadn't accidentally dicovered my 'sweet spot'.
    Dave.

I'm Neil.

This is what I love about this forum and sharing about audio...people having eureka moments and it all becoming clear..... What you heard Dave was your system for the first time, properly, and its ability to present a 3d image in space which has no obvious source; i.e the speakers. Welcome to the club.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes it's great when that happens.For me it's better with statics than any other speakers I've heard.I love that "In your head" sound and the speakers disappear.

I'm Confused.

To the Grand Wazoo: -
    Hi Neil,
    Ashamed to say that I was a bit 'sniffy' at your mention of Pink Floyd - not my sort of music - and then the thought occurred (penny dropped ?) that I am now hearing nice new things in the music that I do like it is perhaps more than possible that I will notice a similar effect when listening to Pink Floyd etc. - might give it a try - thanks.
    Dave.

To Ali Tait: -
    Hi Ali,
    Thanks for your input. Sorry to be a 'thicko' but can I ask you to define 'statics' in this context for me please - I'm new here.
    Cheers,
    Dave.

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave&Sue View Post
    To the Grand Wazoo: -
    Hi Neil,
    Ashamed to say that I was a bit 'sniffy' at your mention of Pink Floyd - not my sort of music - and then the thought occurred (penny dropped ?) that I am now hearing nice new things in the music that I do like it is perhaps more than possible that I will notice a similar effect when listening to Pink Floyd etc. - might give it a try - thanks.

Dave.
    It's Chris actually, but I don't mind what you call me!!!!!
    No, I'd gathered from your other posts that Pink Floyd might not be your thing - but, as you say, you never know!

It's just that there are some Pink Floyd albums that particularly suit listening to the hi-fi with your head beween the speakers like that - particularly 'The Final Cut' where the effect is truly incredible (also if your in the mood for it - 'The Pro's & Cons of Hitchhiking' by Roger Waters). Nick (Beechwoods) is a particular fan of Pink Floyd, so if you ask him he might recommend something to you to try out if you fancy it. Actually there are plenty of similarities in their work with Jean Michelle Jarre, who you apparently like.

There's nothing like a good sounding hi-fi for open your ears to new musical experiences.

Cheers
    Neil

err Chris!!!
    Last edited by The Grand Wazoo; 23-04-2009 at 20:11.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I find JMJ a little "twee" in his earlier works, although Equinox side 2 is good until the final track... I prefer something to tax the old bass cones like Redshift - you can't beat them old Moog Modulars............
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Hi Dave,
    I was referring to my speakers,which are electrostatics,like Quad 57's.No speaker images like a good static to my ears.

I'm Confused.

Hi Dave,
    I'm not a big bass fan myself, irrespective of the artist or composer. Don't misunderstand me, music isn't music without a bass line but it should blend (be in it's proper place and volume), not dominate everything else, IMO.
    I have just let a pair of top end Sony headphones go on fleabay for a little less than what I paid because they were too 'bassy', maybe my own fault because they were aimed at the DJ market, where it sounds to me that you cannot have too much bass .
    Dave.

Dave

might be worth you having a look on a couple of the other HIFI fora - the hifiwigwam has a good freebies section and things often come up on zerogain and PFM for the cost of postage - people in this hobby are very generous and often give things away

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=62029

not sure if these wilol be too big but there will defo be others come along if you are patient and don;t have much budget

the one thing I wouldn't do is buy new on equipment stands as they cost a lot new and fetch very little second hand

rgds
    darren

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123