+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello

I'm Martin.

Smile Hello

Hi I'm Martin from the concrete cow city of Milton Keynes !!

My music taste vary from Tchaikovsky to Queen, Bowie to Paul Simon, Mary Black to Amy Winehouse. Such variety is great pleasure.

Had loads of different equipment over the years - Leak, Arcam, Pioneer, Celestion Ditton 15's, KEF 104ab's, Monitor Audio 7's.

Current system is Thorens TD160 Super with Ortofon VMS30 Mk11, MS VMS phono amp, Arcam FMJ A19, B&W CDM 1NT, plus PMC DB1i in the study.

An old Pioneer PDR 509 which is awful for playing CDs, so looking for a DAC or change whole player.

Quite like the idea of getting a valve DAC or Amp to get LP sound from CDs. So much searching for options.

Looking forward to the A of S comments.

I'm ChrisB.

Hi Martin and here's a warm welcome to AoS from me. Thanks for a great introduction. Adding a valve amp to make a CD player sound like a turntable is an interesting approach! What do you think it might do to your Thorens?!

Cheers

I'm Martin.

Hi Chris

Thanks for the welcome.

Good point re the Thorens. It will all be in the audition I will have to have.

It may save me hours looking for s/h LPs in junk shops as CDs are easier to source. Still love my LP collection though!

Any ideas how to improve the CD sound quality, rather than go with valves?

Cheers
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Hi Martin and here's a warm welcome to AoS from me. Thanks for a great introduction. Adding a valve amp to make a CD player sound like a turntable is an interesting approach! What do you think it might do to your Thorens?!

Cheers

I'm ChrisB.

Well, it's often said round these parts that a good amp is a good amp, whether it has valves or not. A warm, fruity sounding valve amp is quite likely not really a good amp!
    Probably the best thing to do would be to start a new thread in 'Blank Canvas' and ask folks for some ideas.
    See you over there, maybe!

+ Reply to Thread