+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turning Japanese

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrenw View Post
    Hi Marco

I have lined up an SP10 for head to head against the Denon - to be honest the DP6000 is probably the one I will choose as I love the UFO looks but I believe the 6000 will be as good or better than the SP10 from what I read sonically
    No, no, no... completely wrong. The DP-6000 is rubbish!

You really should send it to me for safe 'disposal'!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I have to admit the thorens does look nice with the other gear so I havent discounted getting rid of the 6000 rather than go to the bother of getting a 4 inch slate plinth knocked up scooby style

The thorens is certainly capable of decent sounds and looks nice - mine has a couple of scratches though - does anyone know of a reputable place that refinishes or touches them up?

cheeky bugger Dave - my speakers are the best bit of my system - only to be replaced if I win the lottery and get a pair of westminster royals or GRF autographs (and a bigger room)

rgds
    darren

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Great system there apart from those speakers...... Cheapo drive units in a so-so box and they cost thousands........ Sell them, get some vintage Spendors or current Harbeths, then your system will SING!!!!!!! [ducks]
    LOL! Dave, have you heard them on the end of a top-notch T/T and high quality valve amps? I have, and they're stunning!

Darren, the DP6000 will be fantastic. It is probably better than almost anything else, so proceed and enjoy

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Marco

recommendations for arms to go with the Denon gratefully received - I am looking for something that isn't likely to be upgraded as I want to drill the plinth - the other option is obviously to go for a mount distance that has the most choice of high quality arms - would like something japanese to go with the deck but not precious - I think the alphason might look cool cos it has a little ufoness about it but other options/suggetsions always welcome

The AN speakers aren;t to everiines taste but I love them and certainly wont be shifting them on any time soon

rgds
    darren

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Darren,

Have you seen this thread? http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2579

Check out the Ebay links!

Best,
    Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I Have but the denon is a bit of an unknown quantity - would like something that is a safe bet and then can cut the hole direct in the slate knowing I wont get a severe fit of upgraditis and thus render the plinth useless

is there such a thing as an arm that is a safe bet?

rgds
    darren

Yeah the Denon arm is an unknown quantity, there is next to nothing written (in English) about it...not even big DaveSJR can shed any light on it, but I am partial to the odd gamble to unearth a bit of magic, and I'm getting a bit of a fetish for vintage pro pieces. I'm backing this all Denon threesome to payoff but If it doesn't work out I'll be looking at the 12" Jelco. If I do then the slate plinth will require some work, I will cut out a square to half depth and create a lip which will support interchangeable wooden, or even slate arm boards for the future.

By the way Marco, thanks for adding those links mate. I contacted the seller of the 307 in the states to ask if he would mind sharing the mounting template with me, and he is putting a copy in the post, what a guy!
    Last edited by scoobs; 23-04-2009 at 18:22.
    Nick.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    LOL! Dave, have you heard them on the end of a top-notch T/T and high quality valve amps? I have, and they're stunning!

Darren, the DP6000 will be fantastic. It is probably better than almost anything else, so proceed and enjoy

Marco.
    Now listen 'ere guv'nor, ANY pile of poo can be made to work on the end of shedloads of expensive kit - been there, done it loads of times and wore out several T shirts. It's what they sound like on the end of a basic system that's important and these ANE's just don't do it - Decent old Tannoys, your Spendors and any Harbeth will sound very good on a humble system and get better still as everything else does.....

Not all Denon TT's sound good and it's mainly to do with the plinth on some models being absolute junk. The early arms on some of them had rubber decoupling between pipe and bearing assembly - not a bad idea but too excessive, making the bass go all spongey...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Not all Denon TT's sound good and it's mainly to do with the plinth on some models being absolute junk.
    Yeah!... the DP-6000 being a particularly bad example. Darren really should let me humanely dispose of it!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm DAVE.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrenw View Post
    I have to admit the thorens does look nice with the other gear so I havent discounted getting rid of the 6000 rather than go to the bother of getting a 4 inch slate plinth knocked up scooby style

The thorens is certainly capable of decent sounds and looks nice - mine has a couple of scratches though - does anyone know of a reputable place that refinishes or touches them up?

cheeky bugger Dave - my speakers are the best bit of my system - only to be replaced if I win the lottery and get a pair of westminster royals or GRF autographs (and a bigger room)

rgds
    darren
    Hi Darren,

Summat like this is perhaps what you need.

(assuming the picture shows up of course) I'm bloody hopeless with computers!

Cheers.....Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast