+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: E288C Valve

I'm Neil.

Thank you Barry for the information...a lot to take in and try and learn.

I have a thread on Audiokarma too and this just came in interesting link http://www.tube-classics.de/indexen.htm. The e288cc is not 100%compatible with Ecc88's, but can be; this is due to higher voltage. It can need twice the current of an Ecc88. So if I fit these will anything go pop or will it just not work ?

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 21-04-2009 at 19:28.
    Regards Neil

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Barry beat me to it,but yes,in a Directly-Heated Triode (DHT) such as a 300b or 45,the cathode IS the heater or filament.Valves other than DHT's are said to be Indirectly Heated,i.e. the anode,cathode and heater/filament are all separate entities.In regard to your valves,my advice would be to sell them for a large wedge,and buy some nice Siemens/Mullard/Telefunken ecc88's,and pocket the rest of the cash!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post

I have a thread on Audiokarma too and this just came in interesting link http://www.tube-classics.de/indexen.htm. The e288cc is not 100%compatible with Ecc88's, but can be; this is due to higher voltage. It can need twice the current of an Ecc88. So if I fit these will anything go pop or will it just not work ?

Regards D S D L
    Hi Neil,

That's an interesting site; just don't ask what the prices are !

Regarding the final sentence - difficult call. The E288CC requires a filament current of 475mA compared with 365mA for the ECC88. The E288CC has lower gain, but in general has higher absolute values than the ECC88, so it's probably more a question of whether your preamp might be damaged by the substitution, rather than the valve. Depends on the design of you amp - I'm not qualified to say. Try running it past the guys at 'World Audio Designs'.

Barry

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Barry beat me to it,but yes,in a Directly-Heated Triode (DHT) such as a 300b or 45,the cathode IS the heater or filament.Valves other than DHT's are said to be Indirectly Heated,i.e. the anode,cathode and heater/filament are all separate entities.In regard to your valves,my advice would be to sell them for a large wedge,and buy some nice Siemens/Mullard/Telefunken ecc88's,and pocket the rest of the cash!
    Or buy nothing and pocket the cash..... I don't know on my AudioKarma thread a couple of the guys are having no problem with them and one guy says don't try them because he was told not too...very vague. One guy is using them in an Audio Research p2...he rates them as very good.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm inthescottishmafia.

One thing about NOS valves is that the price will always go up and up and up and up... Good investment if you don't want to sell them at the moment.I'm always surprised by how much NOS prices have risen,even in just the last four or five years.

I'm InSpace.

One thing about NOS valves is that the price will always go up and up and up and up... Good investment if you don't want to sell them at the moment.I'm always surprised by how much NOS prices have risen,even in just the last four or five years.
    Even better than money in the bank ATM!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm ChrisB.

I'm always surprised by how much NOS prices have risen,even in just the last four or five years.
    Yer not joking, when I last bought some valves for my Radford amp, I bought a few spare Mullard GZ34's - jeeez I'm glad I did - they were only £14 a pop....... & it wasn't that long ago.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

14 quid?? bet you wish you'd bought a crate..

I'm Neil.

As a KT88 went nova today on my Music reference Rm200 amp this afternoon and I probably need to get a Quad as a replacement. They are Ram labs valves, specially matched by Roger M himself so I doubt if I can slip a pair (of something else) in and it will sound right. I may have to sell these valves to pay for a Quad of Kt88's.

Its crap being out of work.... You only get 6 months dole and mine is finished now....so needs must.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Neil don't get too hung up on getting valves matched to the nth degree.Even if they are perfectly matched they will drift after a week or two.Whatever valves you get I'd check the bias regularly for the first month or so,depending on use.People pay lots of money for closely matched valves,but it's really not necessary IMHO.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast