Thread: Tannoy Cheviots

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Al View Post
    Back on topic

Here are the photos of the units

They are stamped June 1978 in the cases

One has A marked on it in pencil the other B

Look OK to me , but then I don't know what I al looking at

Is it OK to remove the magnet cover , is there any need too ?
    They don't look too bad but you can't tel what state the coils are in without removing the bolts holding the spiders in and removing the whole cone, which is what I'd do as they need re-foaming anyway. You can test the coils. LF should be around 6Ohms DC and HF should be between 10 and 11 Ohms DC.

That's no indication of specific condition but gives you an idea. I'd remove them and check the lacquering/re-lacquer if you don't intend on re-coning.

No need at all to remove the plastic magnet cover. All you'll see is the HF wiring and the magnet. Nothing to do there.

A 1978 date means that they were post-London manufacture and most likely the drive units came from the Coatbridge works.

I'm Geoff.

Strange that one driver has bolts retaining the spider, whilst the other appears to have studs and nuts, even though the serial numbers are reasonably close. Tannoy were consistant in their inconsistancy!

Take great care unbolting the spiders. It's easy for washers to get drawn into the magnet gap and extremely difficult to get them out again.

The screw fixing for the cone roll surrounds should be visible once the foam strips are pulled out. Probably easiest initially just to cut through the remains of the old surrounds as I did prior to lifting the cone out.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Just a thought. Be very careful unsoldering the cone/coil lead out wires from the socket terminals as they are fairly fragile. It may pay to buy some desoldering braid to remove excess solder and allow you to unwrap the wires from the posts more easily.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Just a thought. Be very careful unsoldering the cone/coil lead out wires from the socket terminals as they are fairly fragile. It may pay to buy some desoldering braid to remove excess solder and allow you to unwrap the wires from the posts more easily.
    ...or a decent solder sucker

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Sure is. One of the finest full range drivers ever made. Wish I still had them.
    Just spotted a pair for sale on eBay in Australia!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CORAL-BETA...item56564d177d

Only the second pair I've seen in about ten years.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234