+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dance Has Begun, Lets Usher In a New Era

I'm Andy.

Hi John

It has taken even me by surprise, I would normally sit and analyse the speakers for far longer, more likely days or weeks before just getting down to the music.

Just shows, there is a surprise everywhere in life. I do have the 'Stupid Grin' look about me at the moment.

Well, Well pleased

Nick - Which CD has the 'So What' track on, I have - At Last, A Brighter Day, Light to Dark and After 8.

Andy - SDDW
    Last edited by Sand Dancin Donkey Walker; 19-04-2009 at 19:41.
    HV Electrical Engineer - SAF (Sustainable Aviation Fuel) Plant

MartinT Guest

Nice one Andy, from one Usher user to another. They will continue to improve for a while yet. Do yours have a compartment for lead shot?

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Sand Dancin Donkey Walker View Post
    Nick - Which CD has the 'So What' track on, I have - At Last, A Brighter Day, Light to Dark and After 8.
    I think his original version was on 'The Antidote'.

And there was a great slightly tweaked & reworked version on 'Bad Brothers' by Ronny Jordan and DJ Krush (great album by the way).

The 'Bad Brothers' version has the most groove, so if you can find it, get that album. The original is more straight acid-jazz... you takes your picks!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Andy.

Hi Guys

Martin - I see you have the even more massive BE20's. If the BE20's are an even greater step forward than the 8571's then you must be in permenant Super Grin mode. The speakers have the mass loadable compartment, you remove the name plate at the front bottom of the speakers and place the extra mass (do you really need any more? ) in the bass of the speakers. How do you have you speakers positioned, did you add the extra mass to you speakers or are they left as standard.

John - Cheers for the recommendations, will get searching after I complete this post.

I've got to the point that I have so many CD's out ready to play I can't now decide which to play next. What a nice dilemma to be in .

Andy - SDDW
    Last edited by Sand Dancin Donkey Walker; 19-04-2009 at 21:25.

MartinT Guest

Andy

They are positioned as in the photo here:

I bought 60kg of lead shot and put 30kg into each speaker's compartment. There is room for even more. The speakers stand on the provided brass cones. The difference the lead shot made is in the depth and tightness of bass. I like the bass to be very tight and to have real clout without any woolliness or overhang. This they do to a frightening degree (Kraftwerk's The Man Machine from their live album has a visceral impact that brings a huge grin to my face). It is easier to tell the exact note being played with organ pedals such as the exceptional fundamentals from Widor's second movement of Symphony No. 6.

All of this is not to forget their supreme abilities in the mid and treble from those beautiful beryllium drivers.

I'm Andy.

Hi Martin

Great looking system, I bet it sound fine too. My speakers are not on the spikes yet, as it is far easier to move them about without snagging the carpet with the 5 spikes per speaker, though I am nearly happy enough with the position to fit them soon. Is that room treatment in the RH corner or just ornamental, again an area I will have to visit sometime to see what the benifits are for me, I know they can work very well done correctly

Will have to give the lead shot thing a bit of consideration, where did you get your from? or does anyone have an alternative suggestion. The speakers currently are firing to a position just behind the listeners head by about 2'. This seems about right at the moment.

Andy - SDDW
    Last edited by Sand Dancin Donkey Walker; 20-04-2009 at 07:20.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thumbs up Big speakers rule!

I like the bass to be very tight and to have real clout without any woolliness or overhang. This they do to a frightening degree (Kraftwerk's The Man Machine from their live album has a visceral impact that brings a huge grin to my face).
    Hehehehe... Martin; me too - you are a man after my own heart!

I know this track very well and the Spendors do the same trick in my room via their 12" drivers. You can't beat big speakers shifting lots of air for grin-inducing fun!

Have you got the 'Minimum Maximum' live box set from Kraftwerk - is this the live album you're referring to? That sounds absolutely awesome on a good system with big speakers. Try playing 'Dentaku' or 'Elektro Kardiogramm' (love the heavy breathing effect at the beginning, too) for viceral bass that will pin you to your seat as it pressurises the room. It makes me feel quite queasy!!!

Andy, your 8571s should be able to generate this sort of effect, too.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andy.

Marco

I can confirm that they can do deep tight powerful bass and does it very well indeed.

Had an hour or so with Marcus Miller - The Ozell Tapes. A live recording done very well indeed.

Andy - SDDW

P.S. Strangely enough last night I only played CD's . Tonight it's it the turn for the Feickert to make the Ushers sing, will report back later.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

That should be a hoot!

We expect a full 'blow-by-blow' account of the experience

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

MartinT Guest

Marco - yes, it's the Minimum Maximum album I was referring to. Phenomenal live recording and, as you say, pins me to my seat!

Andy - I'm using TubeTrap room treatment in all four corners, plus a SubTrap out of picture (but no subwoofer) and PicturePanels, two of which you can see in the photo. My room is nice and dead with very little flutter echo which does wonders for clarity and inner detail.

I bought the lead shot from a recycler. Other sources are yacht suppliers (for keels).
    Last edited by MartinT; 20-04-2009 at 09:02.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast