Closed Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: NVA substitutes?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

My experience of genuine alternatives on the new market is mainly limited these days by the stuff my old mate sells and I've been lampooned enough, despite the fact that I used to sell a fair bit of it for many years, one firm especially...

Bearing the above in mind, I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest you take a gander at LFD to see if they have anything in their small range to interest you - beautifully made, apparently extremely reliable and good sounding, the feel and build inspires confidence..

Many of us are Croft fans and owners and Glenn's service and basic reliability is second to none. No foo bits inside, so spares ain't ever a problem and should be simple for any competent engineer to tackle should the day come when Glenn isn't available. Integrateds from £800 (a grand with phono I think) and pre-power from around £1150 or so...

Other stuff that may or may not float your boat and imported from China include the solid-state XTZ integrated and Cambridge Audio stuff, both well designed and sorted, good sounding and built to a high and lasting standard. Loads of valve gear out there too, but I've said enough for the time being.
    Last edited by DSJR; 24-05-2013 at 19:30. Reason: spellings
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioman View Post
    And why do you think questions were asked? We had another member selling NVA that had some issues with Richard. In selling his kit I think James is cutting his nose to spite his face.
    Many people post saying they must sell bits of hifi and not all choose to say why. Often the reasons can be financial but can also be other things such as the birth of a baby etc. Their reasons are their own and not really relevant to the post. Your argument appears to be that no such questions would have been asked if this wasn't NVA involved. I don't see how that is James' fault. He's not responsible for, or connected to the last episode.

I like NVA stuff too, so I can understand your point here. Nevertheless it's up to any individual what kit they have and there are other equally valid items out there. All the OP was after were some recommendations. How about we stick to the purpose of the OPs thread and offer some alternatives?

I'm James.

Thanks for the input Dave. Will check out your suggestions.

BTW anybody tried the Yaqin tube amps?

Regards

james

synsei Guest

You will find as you settle into AoS Andrew that there is a bit of history between this forum and HiFi Subjectivist, Richard Dunn's forum, much of it being quite unpleasant. Richard is very set in his ways and has a very narrow view on the attributes of the hifi industry, much of it revolving around his own company and the products he manufactures and sells. Richard is hyper-critical of hifi manufacturers who sell through dealers, the dealers themselves, and those who buy gear from said dealers. He possesses a remarkable knack for rubbing people up the wrong way and he makes no apologies for doing so, therefore unfortunately he has managed to amass a rather sizeable and dedicated group of critics, many of whom reside on this forum. In fairness his advocates are just as vocal.

I write this only to furnish new members with information so they are able to make an informed choice to avoid any unpleasantness. I have striven to be as fair as I possibly can here to all parties...
    Last edited by synsei; 24-05-2013 at 17:26.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by moonshiner View Post
    Thanks for the input Dave. Will check out your suggestions.

BTW anybody tried the Yaqin tube amps?

Regards

james
    Hi James, welcome to the forum BTW. Are you interested in valves? Lots of good VFM money in some of the Chinese gear, though you have to be careful of voltages, many having mains transformers specced for 220v, which frankly isn't enough for UK mains.

I'm Martin.

I agree with Dave the basic Croft pre/power combo should be on everyone's shortlist at that budget level. Particularly if you have vinyl as a regular source.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Hi Ali,

thanks for the response.

Yeah, i have been considering tube amps. I have been wondering if the Yaqin amps are good value for money.

cheers

james

I'm James.

Hi synsei,

thanks for posting. Good info to know and always aware that not everyone sits on the fence, quite rightly so! Live and let live.

Please don't stop the music!

Regards

james

I'm James.

Hi Macca,

How do you think the Croft setup would go fed by a Cambridge Audio cd player into a Beresford Dac?

cheers

james

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by moonshiner View Post
    Hi Ali,

thanks for the response.

Yeah, i have been considering tube amps. I have been wondering if the Yaqin amps are good value for money.

cheers

james
    Well, there is a bit of a Scottish Mafia going on, we have semi regular get-togethers. Most of us use valves in some form, so you'd be welcome to come along to the next do if you'd like to hear some valve stuff. Whereabouts are you?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast