+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Helius Aurum Tonearm!

I'm Richard.

Helius aurum was the mid arm from helius when i were a nipper (mid 80s). Better than their basic arm it was bettered by the gorgeous, if somewhat temperamental helius orion. I would be surprised if you like it better than your 774, which is extremely competent. It suits mc cartridges well having reasonable effective mass. Makes me a bit nostalgic for the orion though. Pt, orion, u205 was my reference system for dems.

I'm Geoff.

We'll see. I expect I'll get round to trying it out shortly. It looks as though it should fit straight onto a TD160B Mk.II I recently bought as second TT. Never had either item before. I had a few TD150s years ago though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm scott.

remove the crappy plastic body on the 103 & replace with a metal or wood body then a good re-tip and your off

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Helius arms generally seem to be on the lively side and if you like this, the 774 may appear a little dry or over-damped in nature. Horses for courses, but the 774 may well be the actual 'better' one, even if you may prefer the other...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nobody.

Ive only ever had one Helius arm that was an 'Orion'. very heavy arm that.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    Ive only ever had one Helius arm that was an 'Orion'. very heavy arm that.
    The orion was heavy, at the bearing block (so needed no add weight on a pt armboard) but medium effective mass. Interesting bearings, beautiful finish, my favourite once (vacilated between this and sme5 but my all-time best system had the orion) - with the much-mourned u205 of course...
    I thought they were lost forever until a man in newhaven revealed he had one on a shelf. Before I could work out how to blackmail it out of him, he fitted an even better arm for me and, whilst I'd have a nostalgic curiosity if I could find a u205, I lost interest.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by daytona600 View Post
    remove the crappy plastic body on the 103 & replace with a metal or wood body then a good re-tip and your off
    No way would I spend money trying to 'improve' a basic DL-103. The design is limited and I have better cartridges that don't need upgrading anyway.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm scott.

I thought the 103 supplied with the Arm last old & on its way out , just giving some advice to get it back on its feet

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by daytona600 View Post
    I thought the 103 supplied with the Arm last old & on its way out , just giving some advice to get it back on its feet
    I haven't tried the 103 yet, away on holiday at the moment. It's supposed to be in usable order. I'll check it out properly and give it a whirl when I get back, but I've owned these before, so I'm not expecting miracles. They are pleasant enough though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123